• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

axle swap

quaallen

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok i did a search and found nothin. i happend to brake my universals on my 89 ranger (dana 28). so its time to upgrade. and it so happens that in a classified add i found front and rear axle out of 89f250 that my uncle is selling and im the only one to call him.sooo as far as im guessing its a dana44ttb. so im planning on doing both axles for the fudge of it. my question is what all am i going to need to do this. (drive shafts, coils, coil bucket, etc...)he said hes got abunch of stuff layin round. so id like an idea of what to get. thanx and ALL info on this swap is very wanted and needed. all info is good. thanx again

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, that's the 44 ttb. If I were you, I'd swap the swap in a D35 instead since they use the same u-joints, and its a bolt-in swap (except for the driveshaft). Swapping in a ttb 44 has been discussed on here, but the 3/4 ton set-up is not that great since its leaf sprung and the ttb travels in arc, whereas leafs go straight up and down.

That said, you'll have to move the pivot brackets for 44 or, I think you can shorten one (or both) of the beams. Like I said it was discussed a little while back, if you search, you'll find it.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
another option is to use d35 beams and everything but put the d44 outers on it. there is an article in the tech library about doing it.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
how you do this depends on if you want 8 lug and 1 ton brakes.

that F250 has 8 lug axles. I am not 100% sure but I believe that rear axle is a sterling 10.25" axle wich you could not brake with any engine that could fit in a ranger.

the front axle will either be a D44 or a D50. the D50 will use the same hubs as a D60, thats the only way I can find to tell them apart by looking at them. This axle is not going to work for you (the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton axles are different axles dimentionally), find a D44 from an F150 of a FS bronco and if you want 8 lug then use GM10bolt 8 lug outers (they actually fit better than the 8 lug ford stuff).

or just use a D35 and 8.8 from an explorer which are common and will stand up to anything a stock ranger can throw at it.

or ...... I always wanted to use a semi-float 9.5" GM 14bolt in the back with an F-150 D44 with chevy 8 lug outers on a ford explorer or a Super cab, I think it would be over kill on a B2 or a standard cab short box ranger.

quaallen

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so it wont work cuz its out of the f250 instead of f150?? well that sucks cuz it would of been alot cheaper and it would be sweet cuz of how wide it is..id like toput a straight axle but dont really have the skilz to do so. i should trade my 350warrior for someone to give me an axle and put it in too.?..?? (hint....hint...) well thanx anyways i guess.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
the D44 from a big bronco is more common. around here you can't throw a rock with out hitting a full size ford with a TTB and the good thing is around here they are considered junk, worth more as scrap. where do you live....... I see rusted out explorers around here for 500-600 dollars all the time. buy a junked out explorer, swap the axles, pull the engine and trans for future 4.0L swap and scrap the rest. the explorer 8.8 and D35 are a direct bolt in for ranger, common, and a reasonably good aftermarket.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The 250s use leaf springs and the beams swing in a totally different fashion from the coil sprung F-150. Whether it is a D44 or a D50 it won't work out well, I've looked into it and tossed the idea. If I recall the D50/60 hub is around 3.5in in diameter the D44 is much smaller, that is an easy way to tell what it is. It will have a sterling 10.25, maybe a 10.5, 89 is the transition year for that axle. Strong axle, will hold 44s with no problem, gears only go to 5.38 though. The rear axle is worth having if you want full width axles; I would look somewhere else for the front.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals