• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code P0455

tchef

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I'm new here. I have a 2002 Ranger XLT with a dual overhead cam 4 cylinder engine, manual trans. I have searched this forum for other people with this problem and found basic info but I need a little more.

So far I have replaced the fuel cap, and the purge control valve that is located under the hood by the brake cylinder. I have inspected all the hoses and can't find any holes. I have cleared the code each time and it comes back in a couple of days. I have also removed the charcoal canister from under the spare tire and inspected it. Didn't find any cracks or anything wrong. I tested the coil in the solenoid valve and it seemed fine. Didn't test the valve though.

Any Ideas? I have to get this fixed, my inspection notice came this week as well.

Thanks.:dunno:

tchef

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so here is the update. I pulled the Charcoal canister out from under the spare tire and removed the solenoid valve and tested it on the battery. Nothing happened. It seems to be stuck open. I have ordered a new one from the Ford dealer. I'll give another update when I have installed it.

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
The valve you are referring to is the canister vent valve. The valve is normally open without power and closes with power. These valves do get dirty and stick.
You probably would have spent less having a dealer diag the problem ($79.95 at our shop) then replacing only the bad part or hose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals