• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Foamy Oil...Head gasket?

bmxboy809

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 T
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"/4"
just this morning my F150 ran a little funny. it was shaky at idle but otherwise it seemed ok. Then when i was done with work i it died as i was backing out of my spot and wouldnt start. this truck has a history of low vacuum and lots of blow by. Oil smoke usually comes out the cam breather so i took the air box apart to check the filter to make sure it was not saturated. the filter was ok but i saw a yellow-brown sludge in the breather tube. I checked the oil filler cap and the same sludge was there too. It didnt smell much like oil so i checked the coolant and it was really really low. To me this sounds like a bad head gasket, i have to check the plugs yet but what do you think, i am not very familiar with the 351W

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Oil smoke from any of the upper vents indicates blow-by of the rings (usually). Low vacuum can also be a result of bad rings.
"Snot" (brown sludge) in the oil indicates water (coolant) mixed in. Possibly a blown head gasket, but possibly a cracked head. A cylinder pressure test is needed. If you have a very low pressure in one cylinder (compared to the others), that is the one with the leak.

Just so you know, these checks are general to all engines, not just to the 351W.

bmxboy809

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 T
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"/4"
i knew it had pretty bad blow by but about 3 months ago the compression was good on all cylinders. i hope it is only a blown gasket

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals