• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New owner need help with oil pan removal

97LT1T/A

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi I just bought an old Bronco II 85, 2.8L and I'm trying to change the oil pan gasket. I took all the bolts off and I tried to pry it off by wedging a screw driver in there and popping it off but it didnt work. What am I doing wrong, or do I just need to work my way around and pop it off?

2.8 is great!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 BII
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you have to lift engine a bit to get it past all the pickup. - Fairly big project, I'd dread having to do it.

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
could be baked on or permatexed on.If so take a scraper cut the gasket by tapping it in around the pan

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure its the oil pan gasket leaking and not something else?

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Couple things, there is not a ton of clearance between the oil pan and crossmember, especially if the mounts have sagged. You may have to either use an engine hoist to lift the engine up or a jack to raise the front of the engine so that you can remove the pan. Also the pickup is there and if it is loose but not coming out, that may be blocking it and you will have to lift the engine up.

Be aware as someone said above that valve cover gaskets can make it look like an oil pan leak.

97LT1T/A

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well now that it is on there so tight, it does kinda make me wonder: If it was on there so tight how could it be leaking? I do have a either a head gasket leaking or a valve cover gasket leaking. Not sure which I haven't had it for very long, I've done all of the tune up stuff but noticed oil caked all over the engine. I haven't touched it since I posted because I am about to take my finals. Could I just put the bolts back in and finish the oil change and be ok, or do I need to take it off since I may have pushed some of the old gasket sealer in the pan?

97LT1T/A

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just hope that I can put the bolts back in and change the valve and head gaskets because pulling the engine is waaay above my head. Anyone in central TX to help me or know of a Bronco//4X4 club that I could talk to? I'm in a Trans Am/Camaro club but not too many Bronco's in there lol.

EDIT:would it be wise to change my fuel pump? since its only like a $40 part and I doubt its ever been changed.

Last edited:

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, if you put the bolts back in the pan and moved on, I don't think it would be any worse. The issue is usually that the gaskets harden and crack from heat and age and so everything might seem tight but you have seepage from an area where a piece of gasket fell out. Personally, if I was in your situation, and using it for a driver (ie, no down time), I would liberally douse the lower engine bay / block with Simple Green or another degreaser, and scrub as much as you can with long handled brushes. There is not a ton of room to work but you can get at it if you try. Beware, it's usually a dirty job.

The other thing you could do is take it to a detail shop with a steam cleaner and have them steam clean the engine bay and underside. The only problem with that is steam = moisture and these things are 20 years old or more and may not react that well to it (electrical, etc).

I think it would be best to determine where the leak is coming from before doing any major work! Also, cleaning to me is essential because dirty parts aren't happy parts when you are assembling things, and who really wants chunks of grease and road kill falling in their face??

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yes and one other thing, be careful prying on sealing surfaces, you don't want to create a leak area by marring it. It's usually easily fixable but just something you want to avoid.

97LT1T/A

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'll take your advice and just finish the oil change, clean it and figure out where it really is leaking from. Pulling the engine is way over my head and if I was going to do that I would put a 351 in there anyway.

Would it be a wise decision to replace my fuel pump; I don't think it has been replaced. But its only like $40 at autozone so I don't think it would hurt anything by me changing it.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Have you been having any fuel related issues? I know i personally wouldn't replace the pump unless i needed to. I think its one of those things, that if its working, its working.

97LT1T/A

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well the last time I drove it, it was bogging. So since then I have changed: Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter, Breather filter, PCV valve, and air filter, cap and rotor were fine.

I have not fired it up since so I don't know if all of that fixed my bogging issue.

I've got an alternator and battery on order for Christmas so that will be taken care of.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Couple things, there is not a ton of clearance between the oil pan and crossmember, especially if the mounts have sagged. You may have to either use an engine hoist to lift the engine up or a jack to raise the front of the engine so that you can remove the pan. Also the pickup is there and if it is loose but not coming out, that may be blocking it and you will have to lift the engine up.

Be aware as someone said above that valve cover gaskets can make it look like an oil pan leak.
+1 there is oil on my oil pan but its the Valve cover gaskets that are leaking. you probably already broke the oil pan gasket so lift it up a little bit.

84Ranger4X4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 and 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 and 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I second the valve cover gaskets. Mine was doing the same thing, I thought it was the oil pan. I degreased the engine and replaced the valve cover gaskets and the leak is gone.

97LT1T/A

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well based on youll's opinions I decided to put the bolts back in and let it roll. But now that I have done all this work it won't fire. It will turn over but it won't ignite. I have checked my plugs and wires, they're all in the right order. Battery is fine, so is the alternator and starter, could it be my ignition coil? In another thread someone posted a problem about pickup coil could that be my issue?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals