• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what is reverse rotation?

pineypower1186

November STOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 C.I.D.
Transmission
Manual
my buddy is goin to put gears in his truck but doesnt kno what he has. he found the ratio he wants but doesnt kno what reverse rotation is. an outside source as well as myself believe it is a high pinion setup(which his truck is not) does anyone else have any input on this question?

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
my buddy is goin to put gears in his truck but doesnt kno what he has. he found the ratio he wants but doesnt kno what reverse rotation is. an outside source as well as myself believe it is a high pinion setup(which his truck is not) does anyone else have any input on this question?

I REALLLLY dont understand your question, but I'll try to answer it anyways......:dunno:

If it is a high pinion, it is reverse rotation.

Most carriers have a ratio split also.... When you are ordering gears, be sure to tell whoever you are ording them from, to check and make sure that the ratio will still fit your carrier.

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
It could also mean reverse cut. Some axles use the same name/number for front and rear (D35, D44, D60.. etc.). Reverse cut gears are for the front axle, since you don't want to be using the coast side of the gear when driving forward.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reverse rotation gears are a myth.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Reverse rotation gears are a myth.

Thank you. So many people tell me about reverse rotation and it like nails down a chalkboard to me. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just a little OCD thing. Reverse cut gears are for a front axle so that you are putting torque on the drive side of the gear instead of the coast side like on a standard front ring and pinion. They are usually a good idea if you are replacing an older traditional ring and pinion since most people get throttle happy going forward and not as much in reverse. What kind of truck does your buddy have? Someone should be able to help.

Matt

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. So many people tell me about reverse rotation and it like nails down a chalkboard to me. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just a little OCD thing. Reverse cut gears are for a front axle so that you are putting torque on the drive side of the gear instead of the coast side like on a standard front ring and pinion. They are usually a good idea if you are replacing an older traditional ring and pinion since most people get throttle happy going forward and not as much in reverse. What kind of truck does your buddy have? Someone should be able to help.

Matt

I got what your asking now....
MR.N said:
6: "Reverse Rotation "
This term is just wrong. Neither the axle nor the axle shafts travel in a reverse motion, or travel 'backwards' compared to a regular housing. This term only shows the ignorance of the person or (worse yet) company using it.
LINK TO INFO.....http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals