• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is it possible to carb a 4.0?

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ive been wondering if its possible to put a carb on a 4.0. Its the same block as a 2.8 right? so is it possible to swap over the intake manifold and carb and run it rich? this would make it way easier to swap it into a BII since you wont need a ecu or harness right?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Let's get this straight... you WANT to break your engine?

Sure it's possible to put a carb on a 4.0L. Remove engine. Go to junkyard. Get a GM 250 I-6. Install. Now you have a carbureted 4.0L (well, 4.1L). It weighs twice as much as your 4.0L and has half the peak power. Big improvement, eh?

And before you start talking about interchanging parts, figure out how you change the bore AND stroke and use the same block to do so. Not even SBCs keep the same block between models.

Intentionally running rich will kill your power and plug up the exhaust.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
MAKG, I think he meant run the carb rich compared to the 2.8. Thinking along the lines of 'more displacement, more fuel.'

But yeah, you can't do it. If you want the 4.0, just take your time and figure out the wiring.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think he meant run right.

I think the 4.0 weighs about the same as a Chevy 250. I've pulled both and they have about the same feel. Doesn't sound scientific, but compared to a International Harvest 345 or a Ford 460 they are light and those are 650# motors. I'd put the 4.0 at 400# and the 250-6 about 450#. A smallblock Ford is about 450ish as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive been wondering if its possible to put a carb on a 4.0. Its the same block as a 2.8 right? so is it possible to swap over the intake manifold and carb and run it rich? this would make it way easier to swap it into a BII since you wont need a ecu or harness right?
Very little will swap between a 2.8 and 4.0. They mixed some things around between the 2.8/2.9 (timing gears to a timing chain so the cam spins different directions so the intake/exhaust port locations changed) that would put a bad wrinkle in carberating a 2.9, then they made the block bigger for the increased bore and stroke of the 4.0 so even less is the same. Then to top it off the 4.0 has a distributerless ignition you would have still have to figure a way around if you had a custom intake made.

Personally I would go for a 4.3 before I would go for a 250, but that is just me.:D

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think he meant run right.

I think the 4.0 weighs about the same as a Chevy 250.
I've never pulled the 4.0L, but that Chevy 250 is a HEAVY SOB. I don't see how it can possibly be the same weight as a V6. It's almost twice as long and it's all cast iron, except for the pistons. Even the intake manifold (such as it is) is cast iron. The crankshaft alone is a heavy lift and it takes a big guy (or two not-so-big guys) to move the bare block. It's certainly FAR heavier than a 2.9L, and the bare block is significantly heavier than the bare block on an SBC. It's also a very tall engine, though not all that wide.

I'm not suggesting that a 250 I-6 is a good thing to put in his truck (though I must admit I do like the really, really low powerband for the 67-72 version, for that application -- though to be usable, it would require regearing).

Last edited:

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
didnt know the block was that much different, sorry guess that was a really stupid question then? I was just thinking about it, cause there was a guy on one forum i saw that said he might be able to put a 2.9 distributor in a 4.0... and if i do a motor swap i might wanna go carb i hear the wiring isnt too hard for EFI but im not sure, its my DD cant be down for too long. anyways im still going to wait for the 2.9 to crack a head or something, it only has 160k on it and i hear they go over 200k often so it might be a while. thanks for the responses, i just heard the block was the same and was wondering

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
There is a set of simple truths that people only come to understand
after they live with an EFI engine.

1) most of the myths about how troublesome they are are either exageration or lies.
2)That the simplicity and reliability of a carb is an outright lie.
3)That the best carb engine falls considerably short of the
average EFI engine of the same displacement...

Converting your early Ranger/Bronco2 to EFI is not all that hard
all you need is a good organ donor or a good junkyard.

there are plenty of people who will talk you through it all in detail...

AD

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ranger_dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know, it'd look pretty cool if you just mounted individual downdraft carbs to the existing lower plenum!

Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals