• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Huge Ford Recall (Rangers Included)

tomas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-adds-45M-vehicles-to-apf-2060014213.html?x=0

DETROIT (AP) -- Ford Motor Co. said Tuesday it will add 4.5 million older-model vehicles to the long list of those recalled because a defective cruise control switch could cause a fire.

The latest voluntary action pushes Ford's total recall due to faulty switches to 14.3 million registered vehicles over 10 years, capping the company's largest cumulative recall in history involving a single problem.

The recall covers 1.1 million Ford Windstar minivans that had a small risk of fire due to internal leaking from the switches. Ford said in a letter to federal regulators that it found a small number of reported fires linked to the problem during an internal investigation that began last year, but did not specify how many.

The remaining 3.4 million vehicles are Ford, Lincoln and Mercury models. Ford said there were no reports of fires with those models, most of them trucks and sport utility vehicles, but that they were included in the recall because they use the same switches. All vehicles covered by the recall are from the 1992 to 2003 model years.

Ford advised owners of all vehicles covered by the recall to park them outside until they are mailed instructions by the end of the month on how to get repairs.

The Dearborn, Mich.-based automaker has struggled for a decade with the problem, which has prompted hundreds of complaints and dozens of lawsuits over fires allegedly caused by faulty switches. A small number of injuries have also been linked to the problem, though none were reported in the latest recall. Previous recalls included some of Ford's most popular brands, like the popular F-series of pickup trucks.

Ford began an investigation of Windstar vehicles in February 2008 after receiving a growing number of reports of fires under the vehicles' hoods, according to a letter the company sent to the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency late last week announcing the recall. In June 2008, NHTSA began its own probe of the problem.

Investigators found that the switches, made by Texas Instruments, could leak internally, overheat and potentially ignite. NHTSA also identified four reports of leaking fluid damaging the antilock brake control module, resulting in a fire. The module is charged with electrical current and can ignite the fluid in rare cases, said Ford spokesman Wes Sherwood.

Even some vehicles without cruise control are part of the recall because they still have the switches with brake fluid routed through them. To repair the problem, dealers will install a harness to help prevent the fluid from flowing anywhere it could be ignited.

Ford stopped using the Texas Instruments switch in 2003, according to Sherwood. The latest group of vehicles recalled is the last batch still on the road that had the switch installed.

Texas Instruments said in a statement that it manufactured a switch "to meet and exceed Ford's specifications" and that it is only one component of Ford's cruise control deactivation system. The company cited a 2006 NHTSA investigation that found multiple factors were to blame for fires. Texas Instruments no longer owns the division that made the switches.

NHTSA spokesman Rae Tyson said Ford "is to be commended for stepping forward to resolve this issue."

The recall covers the following model years: 1995-2003 Ford Windstar; 2000-2003 Ford Excursion diesel; 1993-1997 and 1999-2003 Ford F-Super Duty diesel; 1992-2003 Ford Econoline; 1995-2002 Ford Explorer; 1995-2002 Mercury Mountaineer; 1995-1997 and 2001-2003 Ford Ranger; and 1994 Ford F35 Motorhome vehicles.

AP Business Writer Stephen Manning reported from Washington.

rangertoy

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6?
Tire Size
I had this recall on my 99 about a year ago, took it to the dealer and they were done in about 20 minutes.

willied

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V8
Transmission
Automatic
Had it fixed on my mom's Expedition a while back, too.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I just read this too, not sure if its been done on mine yet. Time to make a stop at the local dealer and see whats up.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
It don't say 1999 Rangers but that guy up top said his had the recall..........hmmm I guess I gotta hit the dealer up....quick question, does the truck have to go back to the dealer it was Purchased from?

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i wouldn't think it would have to go back to the dealer it came from a ford dealer if any state or country gets the same ford recalls as to winch vehicles it is for. and in 10 years a vehicle could be sold in calinfornia and now be in ny.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
F that. I won't take my truck into a dealer ever again.

If it lights on fire... well I'll pry be screwed out of the insurance cuz of the recall.

But either way, I don't care.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
i wouldn't think it would have to go back to the dealer it came from a ford dealer if any state or country gets the same ford recalls as to winch vehicles it is for. and in 10 years a vehicle could be sold in calinfornia and now be in ny.
Yeah thats kinda what happened to my truck LOl, Thank you

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Yeah it is basically unplug old harness, clip in new one. Takes all of five minutes. They could probably even do it in the parking lot. Even the dealership in my little town had harnesses on hand when I brought my '98 down. It's just an inline fuse harness instead of a full wire.

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ive gotten three letters from ford telling me I needed to bring my 99 in. Its kinda under the knife right now but I think im gonna take it in after i get it done and see if they will still do it. Wonder what they will think when I pull in there with a solid axle and 38.5 inch boggers!

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Ive gotten three letters from ford telling me I needed to bring my 99 in. Its kinda under the knife right now but I think im gonna take it in after i get it done and see if they will still do it. Wonder what they will think when I pull in there with a solid axle and 38.5 inch boggers!
Got to admit that would be fun... especially if it was engine swapped too... Uhhh... you may want to take note that this truck isn't really a ranger anymore... closer to a '79 f-150 :D

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The issue is with the Ford Vehicles that have the switch mounted to the aster cylinder and use hydraulic pressure to turn off the cruise control (and for other functions)

If the fluid gets inside the switch which is in essence an oil pressure switch,
but a switch that operates at FAR higher pressure and gets pressure cycled every time you use the brakes....

Frankly I'm glad I have no brake mounted pressure switch.

AD

tony314

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
free repairs FTW.........

sean9721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The issue is with the Ford Vehicles that have the switch mounted to the aster cylinder and use hydraulic pressure to turn off the cruise control (and for other functions)

If the fluid gets inside the switch which is in essence an oil pressure switch,
but a switch that operates at FAR higher pressure and gets pressure cycled every time you use the brakes....

Frankly I'm glad I have no brake mounted pressure switch.

AD
But what about non-cruise control vehicles? It says in the article that vehicles without cruise are included.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals