• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stumbling idle

purpony

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2.9 with 232,000 miles. Truck starts fine (sometimes with a rocker tick that goes away, and sometime no tick) Truck idles fine when cold. Driving the truck runs great. When i come to a stop though it seems like the idle will hang high a little and then fall rapidly to idle.... so far in 2 months when its been doing this it dies but most of the time it catches itself and stays running.... when it does die it starts right up fine.

When it is idling though once hot hit has a little stuble to it. I am going to put new plugs, wires, cap on it this weekend. Also the fuel filter was just replaced.

I was wondering.... would it be worth putting new fuel injectors in? they are the originals-

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Clean your IAC 1st. others will chime in and tell ya that the injectors are the last resort...they just don't fail very often.

ususally it the IAC or the FPR that gives you these issues.
maybe the coolant temp sensor giving the false signal the one for the computor, not the dash

purpony

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I also forgot to mention that lately the temp has not been in the normal area (on the very low(cold) side)

I was also planning on putting in a new t-stat and also a coolant temp sensor.

purpony

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I put a new IAC on the truck from my mustang and it made a world of difference!!! .... there is still just a very small stumble at idle but its about 85% better then it was.

Im guessing FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator???
If so thats what i was wondering about also. Where is this located on a 2.9?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I put a new IAC on the truck from my mustang and it made a world of difference!!! .... there is still just a very small stumble at idle but its about 85% better then it was.

Im guessing FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator???
If so thats what i was wondering about also. Where is this located on a 2.9?
Yeah. It's the round cylinder on the fuel rail, on the back of it, near the firewall, it's on the driver's side of the upper intake. Also has a small vacuum line come out of it that goes to the upper intake, and has a fuel line attached to the other side.

The cold running problem could be a bad sending unit, bad gauge, stuck thermostat, bad wiring, etc. The stock gauge is everything but accurate..

You might clear your CM codes, run it for a little bit, pull codes again and see if that gets you any closer to resolving your idling problems. It could just be a matter of a cylinder w/ low compression, a partially clogged injector (bad fuel atomization), bad valve seals, worn cam lobe, etc.

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals