• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L SOHC questions

Hamartia1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2003 Ranger 4.0L SOHC, stock except for a flowmaster muffler. anyways, I noticed this problem while i was driving down the interstate. my truck wont accelerate past the 90mph range, and i know its not the fastest this truck can go because i can hit 90mph in 3rd gear, then 4th and 5th do nothing except bring my RPM down. any solutions to this? I was thinking maybe a performance chip would remove the rev limiter and fix this problem.

Then if anyone could give me a website or some parts names to improve acceleration thatd be great!

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ford has the speed limiter in the PCM for stupid people's protection!

Hamartia1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well how do i get rid of the speed limiter?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
BTW, if your speedo shows you going at 90mph when you hit the speed limiter your speedo is off or you aren't reading it right... the factory speed limit on the SOHC is 89mph:)

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
well how do i get rid of the speed limiter?
The speed limiter can be removed by a tuner, but that will stop soon, because the tuner people have realized if stupid people (or other people) start getting killed in accidents, they will be liable for law suites!

Most stupid people don't have a clue what a tire speed rating is...........

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Tires are an issue, but not the most important issue. Virtually every tire has a rating above 90 MPH.

The main issue is that stupid people don't know their own limits. Virtually everyone overestimates their driving abilities. The really dangerous drivers are the ones who don't know that.

Stupidity has a strong correlation with aggressive speeds, and both have a correlation with youth. Most of us old farts have been there. An interstate is not a giant slalom, and don't fire off the old tired BS about "everyone" doing it or you'll confirm all this.

It really doesn't matter what kind of tire you have -- an unexpected patch of black ice, debris in the road, a deer, or some other driver's F-up are all very bad things at 90+ MPH.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll bet there's a dollar figure in the Ford accounting department on where to set the speed limiter. Probably the annual lawsuit payouts go up by a factor of 10 when the jury sees the 9* compared to when they see the 8* and the 89 is far enough away that most people wouldn't know it was even limited. I don't know if my wife's newish SUV is limited.

I haven't driven over 85 in about 10 or so years. When I commuted in Southern California I went past 90 on the interstate everyday. There were 4 lanes and the slow lane was 60mph where people were getting on and off and they went up by about 10mph each as you went left.

And I went 100mph in a rented Renault Clio on the Autobahn, but almost got run over by a big honkin Mercedes going maybe twice the speed of sound so I decided I was better off doing 130 klicks in the slow lane.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My friends ranger tops out at 98MPH... does this mean his speedo is wrong? His truck is stock besides a K&N Filter and flowmaster mufflers...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals