• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pulling Tranny to fix seal, several options on how to fix

ShaboinkaBoink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, its finally time to work on the 4x4 Ranger that I picked up. :icon_welder: I didn't see any other posts on the decision that I have to make so here it goes. I picked up this great running 89' (9/89' not sure if that considered a 90) XLT 2.9L 4x4 for dirt cheap. The only thing wrong with it is the front pump seal.

I started my testing on what to do with it like usual being the mechanic that I am. I filled it up with tranny fluid since it was empty and not moving at all. After putting the fluid in just about everything worked. I drove it down the road several miles trying to feel the transmission. The 4 wheel drive worked fine and the tranny worked but wouldn't shift without letting off the gas then hitting it again. I made it back in time before all the fluid leaked out.

So, I know that I have to pull the tranny after seeing it leak from the front of the tranny (figure its the front pump seal that they are notorius for). That leads to the questions that I have.

The other truck that I have is an 85' Ford Ranger 2 wheel drive. The tranny in that one works fine and from what I have read in the tech section the transmission is the same as my 89'-90' except for the extra silonoid in the newer on. So will the tranny out of my older 2 wheel drive work for the newer 4x4?

Another question is that if I can't swap the trannys should I just fix the seal on the one that is there and pop it back in or should I rebuild it since it won't shift when it should? :icon_confused:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A4ld

I don't believe you can switch those because of the tail end.To have that transmission rebuilt is very expensive considering the value of the truck if you try changing the fluid and filter and the diaphram on the side of the which uses engine vacuum to help control shifting cant remember the name.It's real important though to check for any restrictions in your cooling lines the back pressure in the cooling lines will cause pressure behind the seal making it leak.Mine had one of the inline filters that was plugged not bad just A little and made it leak.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals