• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission Cooler Reccomendations

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys.

I just installed a tranny temp gauge on my 97 ranger. I have the 5R55E Auto. I have noticed that my tranny reads about 180-200 during the day. This is with normal driving around town and freeway. Outside temps are in the low 90's. I would like to get it down to around 170 so when I tow or go up to the mountains I wont put to much strain on my tranny. What is the best cooler you reccommend? How hard are they to install? I am an avid mechanic and feel pretty comfortable installing or fixing things on my truck.

-Keith :)

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
The biggest that will fit.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
200 deg or so is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL. It's about the same as your coolant temperature. There are no modifications needed, and 170 deg will be overcooling. Your transmission is cooled through the radiator.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Let me clarify

If I had one of these

in my suburban I might still have a functioning transmission in it

we put one in my Uncle's 94 town and country when the new transmission went in and the new transmission has lasted twice as long as the one we replaced. I just put one in my wifes 99 town and country and I am putting one in the suburban when it gets its new transmission and one is going in the motorhome from hell when I figure out its transmission problem. you cannot over cool an automatic transmission.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
all a transmission cooler is is another radiator, just for the transmission and not the engine...

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Let me clarify

If I had one of these

Where can i get one of these and how much is it going to cost. Where have you purchased your coolers from?

Thanks for all of your help. BTW my truck has 119k miles.

warhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
200 deg or so is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL. It's about the same as your coolant temperature. There are no modifications needed, and 170 deg will be overcooling. Your transmission is cooled through the radiator.
MAKG is correct, most oils are designed to work most efficently at around 190deg. So like MAKG said 200deg is normal. I think he ment that a tranny cooler isn't nessesary not that you would be overcooling.

A tranny cooler would be a good idea if you tow alot or are really put it to your transmission on a regular basis, but for the ocasional tow job or weekend in the mud or on the trail you would be fine with your stock setup.

Last edited:

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
MAKG is correct, most oils are designed to work most efficently at around 190deg. So like MAKG said 200deg is normal. I think he ment that a tranny cooler isn't nessesary not that you would be overcooling.

A tranny cooler would be a good idea if you tow alot or are really put it to your transmission on a regular basis, but for the ocasional tow job or weekend in the mud or on the trail you would be fine with your stock setup.
Well that sounds good to me, money I can spend somewhere else.

Thanks for all your help you guys.

Keith :)

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So according to that chart, even with the fluid at cool 175 degrees, an automatic will only last 100k miles? Bullshit. Even my A4LD has 135k on it and has no problems yet. I believe the fluid was only changed once at about 60k and it still looks great, but I'm still gonna change it real soon.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
well there you go you interrupted the cycle by actually maintaining your transmission.

you can get it here for $189 http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l80e.htm. I am going to stand by my statement that you cannot over cool an automatic transmission, and he did say he spends alot of time in the mountains and plans on towing.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can over cool a transmission. You should never eliminate the cooler in the radiator because it is also a fluid heater. Your trans will last longer if you keep the fluid in the fluids viscosity range. It will shift better too.
By the charts above I would say that you want to keep your trans fluid around 170 as much as possible.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
let me qualify that again. you would not be able to over cool your transmission. he plans on working his transmission hard and requires extra cooling and I would never recommend doing away with the cooler in the radiator (summit tech support and I disagree on this point, the recommend using a 24,000 gvw cooler and not running the fluid through the radiator) 165 degrees to 180 degrees is where you want to stay. the fan on the above cooler is set to run the fan around 175 degrees if you buy the relay and use the temp gauge for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals