• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need to establish file/printer sharing on a home office (already have internet share)

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Main computer: hardwired to the internet, also has wireless router. This is running Windows Vista

Two laptops: running XP, can already connect via wireless to the internet

I need to share a printer that is hooked up to one of the laptops with the other two computers, and also need to share a printer that is hooked up to the main computer.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
okay, printer is hooked up to the main computer.

i went control panel > printers > "Share this printer"

then on the computer i'm currently on, i tried to find the printer under "add a printer connected to another computer", but i can't find it anywhere in the network list and such.

Legend

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
okay, printer is hooked up to the main computer.

i went control panel > printers > "Share this printer"

then on the computer i'm currently on, i tried to find the printer under "add a printer connected to another computer", but i can't find it anywhere in the network list and such.
On that computer, right-click on Start, choose explore. click on my network places, click on entire network, click on Microsoft Windows Network. You should see one (1) network - whatever you have named your network. click on that network and you should see all the devices connected to that network, including the "main computer" attached to the printer. if you click on that computer, you should see the shared printer.

if you don't see both the main computer and the computer you are on, perhaps the two computers have named the network differently? to check this, follow this same procedure on the main computer and see if the network name is the same on both computers - it must be, to share resources and you said you are sharing internet connection of main computer? so this shouldn't be a problem.

if you do see both the main computer and the one you are on, then it may be a browsing issue in the printer install program. to get around this try putting in a specific address, such as: \\<the exact name of the main computer (as shown in explorer)>\<the exact name of the printer (as shown in explorer)>

file and printer sharing must be in the network properties of both computers. to check this, right-click on my network, choose Properties, right-click on on the network and confirm that Microsoft file and printer sharing is enabled. if it isn't there, click on Install button, highlight Service and click on Add, highlight Microsoft file and printer sharing and OK your way back out (XP CD may be required).

there are plenty of other possibilities, but 1 of these 3 seems most likely, IMHO. at least a place to start

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ALL PC's on a network need to have the SAME workgroup before you will be able to see the other PC.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
how do i do that?
Right click My Computer>Properties

You can change it in there, then restart.

I usually find my shared printers with the IP address.

Go to the PC you have the printer shared on, Click Start>Run Type CMD and hit enter.

Now type in ipconfig/all

Look for your computer's IP address.... By default it will probably be something like 192.168.***.***

Now go to both the other machines and Start>Run

Type in the Run box \\ipaddress then hit enter.

Should bring up a window with the printer being listed, right click the printer icon and choose connect/install.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
okay! we are making progress!

i put them on the same workgroup "BAXTER".

I can see the laptop from the main computer, and can see the main computer from the laptop.

When I double click on "MOM" (the main computer's name) it asks for a username and password for access. She does not have a password on her account, so idk where to get this password. However, I can access the laptop "JARED" (the laptop) from the main computer with no password.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I think there are other ways but the easiest I found for doing the XP and Vista networking was to have matching username/passwords (not blank) on both pc's or i'd get the same thing you got. Something in vista is what causes it which is why you can acess the xp machines with no problem.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I think there are other ways but the easiest I found for doing the XP and Vista networking was to have matching username/passwords (not blank) on both pc's or i'd get the same thing you got. Something in vista is what causes it which is why you can acess the xp machines with no problem.
well it's my mom's account so i'm not really sure she will let me put a password on there lol.... there's gotta be a way around it...

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
bump..? anyway to printer share with a vista without an account password?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
bump..? anyway to printer share with a vista without an account password?
You don't need a password, you only need to have a user account on the other computer with the same name as the one sharing the printer.

IE: If her computer's name is "betty" you need to only create a user account on the other machine named "betty"

I don't know why, but it worked for me.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
You don't need a password, you only need to have a user account on the other computer with the same name as the one sharing the printer.

IE: If her computer's name is "betty" you need to only create a user account on the other machine named "betty"

I don't know why, but it worked for me.
okay great i will try that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals