• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No O.D.

fordman4488

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
2.9L,5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Like the Title says, my A4LD has no o.d. I look at the fluid and it is not burnt it is just dark. It sometimes seems that it wants to try to shift into o.d. but just won't. What I was wondering is if I do a filter and fluid change (not flush) do you guys think it might do the trick for a while till I have more money to have it checked out or replaced, or could it be the shift solenoid.
Any help would be great, went to the tech library and browsed a few threads and didn't really find what I was looking for.

One other thing is that when I got it, it was abit low on fluid from sitting and had 2 loose pan bolts (leaking a bit, tightend and quit), so after about 3 new quarts of fluid, it seemed to shift smoother and better out of 1st and 2nd, just alittle more info.

Last edited:

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Do a fluid and filter change. It may come back. But I am guessing the fact the fluid being dark is your clutch material for the OD band being mostly worn off.

fordman4488

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
2.9L,5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I wondered that to, but it has no hint of clutch smell in the fluid, i guess i will give it a try and see what happens, btw, what fluid should i use, just regular old dexron3 mercon.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, use Dex III/Merc.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i may be wrong here, but isn't a A4LD a manual transmission? if that's the case, is there a filter in a manual tranny? i've never opened mine up to find out, just replaced the fluid. as for fluid type, dex3/merc is for auto tranny's, i used gl-5 in my manual.

herath

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i may be wrong here, but isn't a A4LD a manual transmission? if that's the case, is there a filter in a manual tranny? i've never opened mine up to find out, just replaced the fluid. as for fluid type, dex3/merc is for auto tranny's, i used gl-5 in my manual.
My 86,with its second tranny at 140000 mi. just started doing this.We adjusted the park on the a4ld[automatic],as it kept wanting to slip into reverse,but afterward won't shift to o.d.I'll check to see if we used drive not o.d. as our adjustment point.Fluid is clean and good color.Any ideas?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
An A4LD is an automatic transmission. Manual transmissions do not have filters. And not all manuals use gear oil. Many of them use ATF, including the M5OD, used in Rangers 1990+.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Do a fluid and filter change. It may come back. But I am guessing the fact the fluid being dark is your clutch material for the OD band being mostly worn off.
Fluid and filter changes WILL NOT repair a no O/D situation. In fact , the only thing that a fluid and filter change will repair is a faulty filter ie: bad o-ring or cracked filter.

My guess would be a O/D servo piston thats turned hard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals