• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

looking to get first cb, what should i know?

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i was thinking of getting a used cb radio for my truck, just somthing to have for an occasional trail ride. i found a "REALISTIC TRC-430,40-CHANNEL 2-WAY CB RADIO" for $50 bucks. seems cheap but i really dont know a whole hell of alot about them. is there any special kind i should be looking for or will any cb work?

tony314

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I was originally going to buy used yesterday,but started thinking about what if something happens i.e. stops working. So I bought new! Paid $250 for my cobra 25 NW LTD nightwatch,antenna,antenna spring for flex,antenna L shaped mounting bracket and coax cable.

For me, money was an issue, but I figured paying a bit more for a warrenty was the better route! PICK THE RIGHT ANTENNA!

I know where on TRS you can buy a used one with antenna for $65 shipped if that is all you can afford!

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
do you mean right anttena for the radio or just a good one? i would have thought that the anttenas are universal.

tony314

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
A good one. The right antenna makes all the difference. You can have the best set up in the world , but with out an good antenna you are hosed. Watch out for the cheap China made ones.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Antennas are universal, but get something that's quality (and not too short... Most antennas 5' and longer will work decent, but the best performance is with 96-102" long whips).

Microphones make a huge difference in how good a radio sounds too (more so than the radio itself). The stock mics that come with radios can be hit-or-miss. An aftermarket power mic can improve your transmitted sound quality immensely in a lot of cases.

tony314

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
He's right. If you ever hear someone that is crystal clear on a cb, then odds are he probably is running a PM. I need one myself and a longer antenna.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
goldxlt,
Did you buy the CB/antenna system yet ?
Do not buy Rat Shaq...
Their equipment is marginal at best, it works but, I for one do not like their equipment.

Get a small Uniden either a model 510 or 520, brand new from approx $45 to $65.
For antennas go for one that fits where you want it. Mount as high and as centered on the vehicle as possible. Buy a good quality Wilson Antenna, they have anything from magnet mounted antennas to Fiberglass whips and one called the Flex-i-whip 3 feet tall and flexes almost over to itself.
Buy good quality coax, Belden is the main one for HAMs; RG58U will work or get RG8X a little thicker and better coax.

luck,

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
My personal preference is the Cobra CBs. Most of us around here run the Cobra 29s.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
NO power mic!!!!

What ever you do DON"T GET A POWER MIC!! Get an ASTATIC NOISE CANCELING mic-all a power mic will do is amplify your poor signal and any wind noise or breathing etc. I used to drive a truck and I have a Ranger 6900 that has a built in echo board -that is what makes the BIG RADIO sound that people like-

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got two cobra 29 LTD classics, a navajo/realistic trc-434 base station, a midland weather max mini, and my Galaxy 959. All are awesome radios in my opinion. The 29 is a great mobile, and you can find them for about 25 bucks if you look around. I'd buy the Galaxy again if I had to, my favorite radio so far. I have it mounted from the headliner of my Bii in between the visors. No complaints and it looks great there.

Stay away from the ever so popular firestick antenna, there decent, but your better off with a whip. If you are gonna try and really run some power through your radio or a linear, I'd go with an oil cooled base for the whip. Mine is mounted on the rear passenger corner about 3in forward of the upper mount on the tire carrier.

Whatever you get, go have fun with it and use it. Go to a local lake and back up to the shore with some friends, tune your radio and you'll learn how to "skip". You can talk for miles. Personal best with the setup I have now was just after it snowed in february here in texas, received a base station up in maine, and was talking to people as far as north carolina and new york.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was thinking of getting a used cb radio for my truck, just somthing to have for an occasional trail ride. i found a "REALISTIC TRC-430,40-CHANNEL 2-WAY CB RADIO" for $50 bucks. seems cheap but i really dont know a whole hell of alot about them. is there any special kind i should be looking for or will any cb work?
trying to get this for oct 3rd? lol. i just put one in my truck and put one in the jeep. $37 at walmart. you can buy a antenna and cable and mount kit for $20-30 at a truck stop. i didnt tune either of mine yet, but i tried it and it worked over a mile.... could work further, but didnt try. of course i up graded and got a firestik and a more insulated cable. pretty easy install, just dont operate the cb without an antenna!

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals