• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302-351

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual
I've built my 87 B2 and have been quite happy with it. But I recently acquired a 5.8 out of a 91 E-250 van and want to swap it into my B2. What issues will I have fitment wise and what parts can I re-use? Specs on the B2 are : 94 302 L&L longtubes 2.5" y pipe to single 3" exhaust. performer rpm intake edelbrock 600 carb. Art-Carr c-4 kevlar bands and clutches. stock t-case 9" rear with 31 spline shafts detroit locker and a stock 35 out of a 94 explore in the front.

My plans for the motor would be 500-550hp with an additional 150 shot of spray. I realize the fuel system would need to be upgraded and a new torque converter would be a good idea, but, fitment wise and frame strength are the issues I'm not sure of

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
What type of ignition are you running? Chances are you'll have to switch to a distributor that's a breaker point type or an aftermarket HEI type as a 302 distributor won't work in a 351W. You'll need a new intake and your headers will likely need some modification too. The C4 will work, but a C6 would be a far better choice behind the big Windsor. Your rear end setup will be fine as well. The front end may reuire some upgrading (maybe an SAS D44??). You may also want to consider a hood scoop or a cowl as the 351 is taller than your 302.

sparky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ther are plenty of dsII distributors for 351w engines.Everything else i agree with what red85 said.

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual
Ignition wise I'm runnin a MSD billet distributor and a duraspark blue box. I would like to stay with the duraspark but I could just buy another dizzy. I also figured I would need a new intake. As far as headers go, I thought the 5.0 and 5.8 heads were the same? Or by modification do you mean I'll have to modify the y pipe because the V is wider? Again, my main concern is frame strength. I used to have a 83 standard cab ranger with a mild 302/aod combo. From the years of abuse you could start to see the body starting to misalign, doors didnt shut right ETC.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The frame will be plenty strong for a 351W. As far as hieght, you have plenty of room unless you get a tunnel ram intake.

smokeshow83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 2.6 and 88
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the c4 will hold up to around 700 hp. it would be a good idea to get a billet survo to put in it and a hardened in put shaft. we have that in our playtoys but also a manual reverse valve body. and trust me it want robb u of all the power that a c6 or fmx will. althought they r reliable. just slow u down to much.

pineypower1186

November STOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 C.I.D.
Transmission
Manual
Efficient Cylinder Heads + Small Camshaft = Gigantic Torque, Monster Horsepower and Great Street Ability.

Check out AFR's dyno sheets. i think they will point u in the right direction.

CUracing

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
351's are wider than 302's therefor headers are alot harder to fit in the ranger/bronco II frame rails with a 351, especailly on driver side with the steering linkage running right past the header. I was thinking about a stroked windsor but, haven't yet.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You will need a decent stroker kit to get that kind of HP without any power adder. Do some research before you start tossing in parts, adding a heathly shot of nitrous to a high compression engine will kill it very quickly if you don't know what you are doing. The 302 headers won't work as they sit. You will have to cut them up or start over with custom ones. The stock EFI or a 600cfm carb won't make big power number either. A duraspark isn't the greatest ignition for a high performance engine either, you will have to upgrade to something with better spark control and a rev limiter in nice to have, trust me on that one. Aside from the exhuast and a few heater box issues the 351 will drop in place of the 302. I used to use a built C4 behind my stroker but I killed it a few times and cracked the case as well. A built C6 is the way to go but if you havea C4 use it. I haven't had the truck apart enough to check the frame completely but I know it isn't straight anymore. The frame will hold but if you are going big, it wouldn't be a bad idea of at least adding something to help the frame. The power is nice to have.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals