• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hard shifting transmission

thedave

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I almost think this is not a transmission problem but I am not sure so in here it goes

91 ranger 4.0 2wd with the a4ld auto trans, when I start it and shift into gear the revs climb and and it shifts very hard into gear. You can hear the engine rev up before it shifts, and then when it goes into gear the whole truck jerks. It does this going into reverse or drive.

The reason I am not sure if it's a transmission problem or not is that a while ago my throttle position sensor started acting funny. It would start, go to idle, and then if I touched the gas it would jump to 1300 rpm's and stay there. I loosened the screws and was able to rotate it enough to drop the rpms down but i'm not entirely sure it's completely fixed.

Any opinions on this? I thought it might have been loose u-joints but they seem tight. I got plenty of trans fluid and the transmission was rebuilt around 30-40k miles ago. Any help would be appreciated.

dave

edit: no codes are being thrown

Last edited:

fili450r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
about the same thing happened to my 3.0....well, after pulling the tranny putting in new clutch kits and doing a once over on it. put it in, wasnt the problem....pulled it out again, and took it to a shop, with a free problem check. they told me just to get a new one....and they are pretty hard to find in northern indiana.

so best bet, start looking for a new one now....maybe yours wont be as bad as mine, but id say thats the safest bet. alot of people say to stay away from A4LD's...but i read those posts after i bought a new one....lol.

thedave

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
it was the TPS. I swapped it out this morning and the hard shifting went away. It goes from reverse to drive easier, shift smoother while driving, and the whole truck seems smoother. I like a simple fix :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals