• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

question about wiring amps and subs

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I am by far not a audio expert so I have a question. I have 2 MTX thunder 7000 10" subs that are 8 ohms each. I want to know if i can wire those to a single channel amplifier without hurting anything. the amps is 1600watts (400 RMS) X1. it says on the specs of the amp that it is 2 ohms stable. it also says that 1600watts ACH power 400 watts X 1 @ 4 ohms RMS power. SO, can I wire both these subs to the amp? if so, how? both positives to the positive output and both negatives to the negative output? OR do I hook one of the positives to the positve, then hook the negative of that sub to the positive of the other and then the negative of the 2nd sub to the negative of the amp?? Thanks

bigspaceghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4.sl0w
Transmission
Manual
wiring sub

yes you can wire them to work with your amp. to achieve a 4ohm load you must run jumpers from the + on 1 sub to the other and the - to the other - ,and then string them to the amp.

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, so basically wire them in parrallel. Thanks.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
yup parallel would be it.. i have 2 2 ohm subs an have them wired parallel to achieve a 1 ohm load on my amp 1500x1 rms:icon_hornsup:

Ranger-Rod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yes you can wire them to work with your amp. to achieve a 4ohm load you must run jumpers from the + on 1 sub to the other and the - to the other - ,and then string them to the amp.
This is incorrect.
He has two 8 ohm subs.
wiring in + on amp to + on one sub then sub - to other sub + then 2nd sub - to amp will give him a 16 ohm reading at the amp.
If you have an ohm meter you can check this ( wire them up as above) check it you will get 16 ohms.

With (2) 8 ohm subs to achieve a 4 ohm reading at the amp , you'll need to wire both positives from the subs to the positive on the amps left channel, and both negatives of the subs to the negative on the amps right channel (bridged) This will get the most power to the subs without problems.
Or if you want you could just connect the subs normally as if they were 4 ohm subs ( each sub to each channel) without problems (less power).

Now if the subs were dual voice coil it gets trickier but more options on wiring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals