• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

truck shakes in OD under 2k

mdopole

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1994 ford ranger 4.0 auto 4x4. When driving it shifts into OD at around 40-45 mph truck shakes pretty good until rpm's climb up to 2k and above. You can press the accelerator and downshift and the engine smooths out. Runs like a champ in every other gear.

It also rocks back and forth when you first put it into gear and just let the idle move the truck forward or in reverse. When you hit the gas the shake goes away. The truck idles great in park but in gear the truck shakes, but the rpms are still 700-800.

No CEL code thrown. I have owned the truck 2 months now and it has been doing this ever since and has never thrown a cel. I pulled off a connector to see if the cel works and it came on but went back off once i reinstalled the connector.

List of stuff I have replaced to try and cure this problem with no success.

plugs/wires
fuel filter
air filter

tested fuel rail pressure 30psi at idle and reached 39/40 psi while driving
cleaned afm or maf

#5 plug had oil on threads and carbon buildup on plug which i read usually is lower intake gasket leak. I re-torqued lower intake and put in new plug and now looks very clean.

had tranny flushed

new tranny mount

new driveshaft center bearing

dosent smoke or use oil get a gas smell at idle sometimes out of exhaust

This problem is beyond my mechanical abilities. Anyone have any ideas? It not throwing an engine code is what really stumps me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals