• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HID Kit

Duke513

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I am looking at installing an HID kit on my '08 Ranger and I was wondering if anyone had any tips/suggestions... Can I just buy a conversion kit online?? Should I buy new light housings?? Should I get projectors???

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
you need projectors if you are wanting to run HID. It is illegal to have HID and not have projectors and without them the glare from the lights will blind on coming drivers. its downright dangerous as well

Last edited:

ranger08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a high low kit for the 08 and they flicker why?

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Bad ballasts or bad grounds or bad connections

ranger08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 2008 ranger in canada i hear its from the drl or computer or relay they have? i have a high and low kit and the high light in dash is flashing

ranger08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How do i get the hid kit to work? Do i need resisters on the harnesse?

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you need projectors if you are wanting to run HID. It is illegal to have HID and not have projectors and without them the glare from the lights will blind on coming drivers. its downright dangerous as well
Correction:

You should have projectors if you run HID, especially if your stock reflector housings dont have a decent beam cutoff.

If there is not a decent beam cutoff then the higher light output of HID can blind oncoming drivers. For example, with my gen3, I woudln't try HID's because the beam cutoff just isn't well defined and it would probably cause problems and I know the light wouldnt be directed well anyway so its a waste of effort for me.

I can't speak for your 08 though. A lot of the newer reflector housings do a damn good job at directing the beam and running HIDs are not a problem.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
they still suck, a halogen housing is not designed for an HID bulb and light output. only a housing designed for HIDs is the only way to go. even a retrofitted projector isnt 100% legal

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Totally 100% illegal to have HIDs in a non HID housing... Not to mention dangerous... I can't tell you how many people around here with giant lifted IFS Chevy's have those and blind me all the time... There's one guy in particular that I see every day on my way to work... About have to stop his is so bad... Think about it this way... If I was a real douche all I would have to do is veer out of my lane, smack him head on, and sue him, claiming his headlights blinded me... Once they found out he had HIDs in non projector lenses I'd win... Just something to think about...

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I recommend going to v-LEDs, they also have alot of hid/led troubleshooting answers and walkthroughs. I went to them for my old altima and they are really good. Gonna do it to my ranger soon... But need correct housing for high/lows. Mine now would just straight blind mofo's.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Can't wait to switch over to white/amber LEDs for my blinkers and DRLs. I just hate the current wiring in my headlights... Ghetto fixes with tape from previous owner...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals