• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Almost there.....

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, I am gaining ground. I got all my guages, headlights, wipers, etc. to work on my 1988 bronco II currently undergoing the 4.0 swap. :yahoo::

It turns out that I didn't have the ignition wire hooked up so I had no power to my ignition, lights, etc.

After I figured this out I could have celebrated thinking that I would for surely get the thing started tonight but obviously it's not my night. This is my dilema:

I have spliced the pink 14 guage wire on the Explorer harness into the red/blue wire on my B2 harness that runs to the ignition. I have then hooked that wire on to my solenoid where it should be. I have checked my grounds and can't see where I missed any. I also used my test light to see if the wire got hot when I turned the key over but it did not. Did I do this right or am I missing something to get it to start? I am so close!!!! :damnit1:

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wwent out side and looked at my truck. 89 BII with 93 4.0. My pink is spliced into the red/blue wire. Both are on the BII harness on my truck on the driver fender.

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So your saying that the pink wire is coming from the B2 harness and not the explorer harness?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Manual or auto trans?

If manual have you pushed the clutch in? The pink goes throught the clutch interlock circut.

Auto the pink gets switched at the trans from a Red/Blue you may have a bad neutral start circut.

You can jumper the plug temporarily to get things working to see if it's your switch that's the problem.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tell us if it is a 5sp or auto. On another post you mention the fuel inertia switch. Is it tripped, and wired correctly? I think I reused the BII switch on my swap. There is two grounds by the computer on the kick panel, are they connected?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Tell us if it is a 5sp or auto. On another post you mention the fuel inertia switch. Is it tripped, and wired correctly? I think I reused the BII switch on my swap. There is two grounds by the computer on the kick panel, are they connected?
Those are the grounds I missed myself when doing my own swap.

AD

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My truck is an auto. The grounds by the computer are connected. There are a couple of them. I am beginning to wonder if my computer is bad. My donor vehicle took a very hard hit from that side. I have power going to my computer but don't know if the computer is actually sending the correct signals.

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Forgot to mention, the inertia switch was bad. I bypassed it and have power to my fuel pump but when I turn the key on it kicks out the fuel relay like it has a short or something. I haven't been able to figure that one out.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Forgot to mention, the inertia switch was bad. I bypassed it and have power to my fuel pump but when I turn the key on it kicks out the fuel relay like it has a short or something. I haven't been able to figure that one out.
That might be the problem. If it was my truck I would find another switch and put it in. I dont remember if I used my old one or used the Ex's. If I used the old I might have one here. I will look later. You might think that it is bypassed but if it is not not it might act the way you described.

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I do have the inertia swith off my B2 yet. I originally swapped in the explorers. I will have to put it in and see what happens.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'd look at my splices and run down the list for you but it'd take me an hour
(standing in ankle deep slush) to expose them.
they are both burried behind the washer reservoir and thoroughly wrapped
in harness tape.

And sadly though I kept notes, I've lost them.

AD

Just out of curiosity, where in Nebraska are you?

abrush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am located by Omaha. Just out of curiosity did you donor vehicle have a ground running off the negative battery terminal with a plug on it? It is a thicker guage black wire and has a plug with two pins in it. I do not remember what this ran to in the Explorer and do not have any other connections hanging that could possibly go to it.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just out of curiosity did you donor vehicle have a ground running off the negative battery terminal with a plug on it? It is a thicker guage black wire and has a plug with two pins in it. I do not remember what this ran to in the Explorer and do not have any other connections hanging that could possibly go to it.

I believe that is you missing grounds. My BII had a 2 single pin connectors and the Ex had I believe a 2 pin connector.I will look tomorrow how it is run. Before my swap my battery got loose and hit the single pin. The truck would not start and the fuel pump relay didnt work. My grounds on that side had been hacked before I got it so I really dont know how they were supposed to be before the swap.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I am located by Omaha. Just out of curiosity did you donor vehicle have a ground running off the negative battery terminal with a plug on it? It is a thicker guage black wire and has a plug with two pins in it. I do not remember what this ran to in the Explorer and do not have any other connections hanging that could possibly go to it.
My donor vehicle was a complete 1993 Explorer that I bought at auction

Yes, it had a two conductor black cable that I recognized as being the main EEC ground because I had had experiences with the similar SINGLE ground wire that was on my '87 supercab from the factory.

FWIW, the only "original" underood wiring that remains under the hood of my truck are the wires for the headlamps and marker lights.

EVERYTHING from the heater and computer all the way around the engine compartment across both the radiator support and firewall and the harness across the engine is ENTIRELY 1993 explorer wiring.

I did all my splicing either in the front corner by the left headlamp, against the steel inner fender (behind the washer reservoir)

So all I really did was to add the proper mating connectors
between the '93 harness and the '87 firewall

To accomplish this I hacked up the '87 harness and ANOTHER 1993 chassis harness and made short "adapter" jumpers.

I didn't really pay much attention to the wiring in the left front corner
by the battery because by and large that was simply installed into
my truck as it came out of the donor without modifying it.
I simply laid it in and plugged things together.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals