• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 91' truck

rlarge15

Reaction score
Is a four cylinder with eight spark plugs.
It has a really bad dead spot in the accelarator, when you really need to smash it to get up a hill or just gain speed when merging in with the other maniacs that drive much too fast on the road, it slows drastically as if it were hitting the automatic rev limiter. Oh another thing, why does the tac redline at 5000 rpm but the computer kills it at 3500? I would like someone to help me out because I'm afraid to drive this thing. I nearly lost it in the lake this morning because it has no power to speak of, after I nearly lost it to the water I borrowed enough money to changed the spark plugs, there were eight of them but I could only get to 7 of them. I unhooked the battery to let the computer reprogram. And it ran much better than it did before. I also made an cold air intake out of a volvo radiator in hopes of possibly improving the performance. Idk help me

This site is awesome! So much info, just a click away. Thanks guys!

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Wait, you made a cold air intake out of a radiator? I don't see this working at all. With out some form of forced induction to push it through, your just creating another restriction.

Your redline should be right around 6250. If the truck isn't making it there, something is wrong. I see 6K on a regular basis. Get your codes scanned and see if anything comes up.

James

rlarge15

Reaction score
It's set up to be like a ram air type of thing, if my milage goes down then I take it off. After all it was free.

Yea I took it to the dealer and apparently it has jumped 3 teeth on the timing belt, so I've torn it apart and will finish it tomo and see if it runs better.

Thanks

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
I am all about trying out free!

The more direct the air path to the cylinder the better off you will be. I don't even pretend to understand all the stuff that goes into making things like this work, but I would rather drink from a wide mouth than through a crazy straw.

Keep us posted.

James

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Could you please explain the Vovlo radiator thing? I'm not following what you did.

The computer's rev limiter is around 6250 rpm. If your engine is dying at 3500 you have a major problem. I'd strongly suggest a check of the engine's trouble codes.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic

rlarge15

Reaction score
Yea it runs %1000 better, it revs all the way up the way it's supposed to. Ahhhh what a relief. And yes it's a type of intercooler type of thing, whichever name you like either way I'v taken it off because if got damaged by a massive hail storm that hit as I was driving it. I don't think it was anygood anyways, so now it just has a ram air intake =)

Thanks for the help guys!

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For future reference, an intercooler like that will never do anygood. You can't cool the air below ambient conditions (using airflow alone) and since you don't have anything that is heating up the incoming air, like a turbo or supercharger, the air inside the cooler is going to be the same temp as the air outside the cooler. All it does it create an additional restriction to your intake.

Glad to hear you got everything take care of!

-krug

rlarge15

Reaction score
Ummm the timing was off by 3 gear teeth

But yea, so the motor has an automatic computer controlled rev limiter? If so, does that make it impossible to over rev the motor, other than by purposefully putting it in too low of a gear dumping the clutch.

levi18175

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pretty much, umm yeah. The computer should cut your engine off at a certain rpm, unless (like you said) you dumped to clutch in to low of a gear. But why would you want to.

I buddy of mine had a toyota that he could send past the rev limiter by jouncing the throttle off the floor a few times, but then again, he doesn't drive it anymore either.

So I go back to my origional thought, why would you want to?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
The ignition rev limiter is set at 6250rpm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals