• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

replacing clutch need some help

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i gotta replace the clutch in my 99 3.0 its sliping bad wen you get on the gas it revs up about 1500 rpms and then catches real easy how hard is it to do im replacing eveything that the kit comes with and im doing the slave cylinder and a new fork so how hard is it this is my first 1 and i have a little know how and im good at turnin wrenches

snavelyj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, My '95 4.0 wasn't to bad, it took me about a day and a half. If your truck is like mine, you will have to drop the Y-pipe to get the trans bolted back up. also need a special tool to disconect the hydrolic line for the clutch. other then that, it is farley straite foward. I didnt put a slave cylender in mine when i did the clutch, and now that is starting to go, so i get to tare it all apart again! good luck

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Fork? what fork?

AD

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Fork? what fork?

AD
Must be a pitchfork, maybe he is a peasant??

And we cannot say whether or not it's hard to do, that depends on how mechanically inclined you are. You basically need to drop the driveshafts, t-case and tranny, and then remove the old clutch components and put the new ones in and put it all back together.

Sound tough?

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, My '95 4.0 wasn't to bad, it took me about a day and a half. If your truck is like mine, you will have to drop the Y-pipe to get the trans bolted back up. also need a special tool to disconect the hydrolic line for the clutch. other then that, it is farley straite foward. I didnt put a slave cylender in mine when i did the clutch, and now that is starting to go, so i get to tare it all apart again! good luck
thats why im going to go ahead and do it so i dont have that problem
and the fork that the throwout bearing goes in

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
i dont believe the rangers have a fork, the throwout bearing goes on spring which in return is connected to the slave cylinder, thus no fork for it to sit on.

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
yeah rangers have internal slave cylinders inside the transmission,trucks like toyotas most commonly have external slave cylinders and have a "fork" type of system.

ammojkm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In my experience, the hard part is physically removing and installing the transfer case and transmission. Aligning everything up (and being sure not to let the transmission droop and bend your new clutch and flywheel) is the hard part. One man with a jack...very difficult. Two people and a jack...better but the tight space under a jacked up vehicle coupled with working on your back leads to a struggle.

Everything else is just bolting and unbolting. A mechanically inclined novice with a half-decent manual can do it...if they are patient.

Don't forget to resurface the flywheel and replace the pilot bearing if your truck has one.

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
yeah i agree..i have put transmissions in two of my rangers and have never used a jack and it sucks..from what i remember about the tranny install was getting it through the exhaust because on my year of rangers it calls to remove the exhaust but i thought that was too much work and shimmed it through it.:headbang:

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im getting the kit and it comes with all the bearings and bushings. thats the only thing i am really worried about is realigning the tranny and transfercase back up

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
just get a couple friends to crawl under there with you because its gonna be heavy and just push it up in there or atleasts thats what i did..once you have done it you will see its not hard just heavy :)

rngr4x4beast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alrite man thanks guys real good info ill let you no wen i start and get done

schmoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83 2.8 ranger
Make / Model
84 2.3 4x4 rang
Transmission
Manual
yeah rangers have internal slave cylinders inside the transmission,trucks like toyotas most commonly have external slave cylinders and have a "fork" type of system.
old (83-85) rangers have forks. the internal
system is not an improvement.

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need to do the same thing with a 94' 4.0 in an 88' BII. Is the fit a lot tighter? like would i need to unbolt the engine mounts so i can get to the top bolts on the bell housing? I have the tools to do it, but im a first timer also on the clutch area

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
old (83-85) rangers have forks. the internal
system is not an improvement.

yes i agree because if the slave cylinder ever goes out,out comes the transmission when with an external you just unbolt it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals