• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

grinding sound type noise when accelerating

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My co-worker has a 02 focus and when she accelerates her car it almost sounds like a rotor rubbing noise.. When she gets up to speed it goes away and when in park and she revs the engine it doesn't produce that noise. The odd thing is you cannot hear the noise from outside the car, only the inside. Any ideas what it might be ?

She has already been soaked for $500 when the shop replaced all 4 hub assemblies and I guess redid the bearings (which did not fix the issue and now her ABS light is on and her brake light is on when she turns the wheel to the L or R. From inside the car the sound appears to come from the passenger front side of the vehicle.. Any ideas are much appreciated.

BTW the car isn't kicking out any engine codes.. I was thinking maybe bearings in the alternator but again its not an RPM issue it is ONLY when she accelerates initially.

Thanks in advance.

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
There is a bearing in the center of the right half shaft that is a common cause of a bearing noise. To further diag the noise jack the front wheels off the ground put it in gear to hear the noise... stop then keep the right wheel from turning the noise should be gone.... the red brake light coming on while turning.... check the fluid level. The ABS should set a code. They probably damaged a sensor or sensor ring.

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply.. I don't know if it is a bearing or not, all I know is that there is a sound coming from the passenger front side of the vehicle that sounds like a rotor rubbing, however I doubt this is the case as when you get up to speed it goes away.. The shop replaced the bearings but that appears to not be the issue.

mmlaing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My O9 Ranger does the exact same thing between 1st and 2nd and 3rd gear, I hope it is not something serious?

Mike

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I hope it isn't either for her sake.. The diff mm is that hers is only when she initially starts.. when she goes through gears its fine, its just that initial takeoff when it does it.. The shop cannot figure it out but I told her to keep taking it back because shes already dropped 500 soo far..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals