• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger Won't Start

scrimper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 88 Ranger 2.3 that won't start. Can hear the starter run when ignition is turned but that is all. Just the loud noise of the starter. Could this be indicative of a fuel delivery problem?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
The starter turns but the engine doesn't?

If so, then no, that would be a bad starter. (not engaging)

If the engine spins, then there are a number of other possibilities, to help narrow it down...

1. Do you hear the fuel pump prime (run for about 1-2 seconds) when you first turn the key to the run position?

2. Are you sure the timing belt hasn't snapped?

Last edited:

scrimper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I hear the fuel pump come on after I turn the ignition for about 2 seconds. The engine won't turn. Just hear the starter run on. Timing belt was just replaced. So you think the starter might not be engaging? Thanks for your help.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, if you hear the starter turning but the engine isn't then the starter is duff.

You can try whacking the starter with a hammer, seriously, but that is usually only good for a few starts.

You could also try pulling the starter and try to figure out why the bendix isn't moving but, I'd say as long as it's out change it. Your '88 has the least expensive 2.3 starter. It should be less than $50.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah, Take your starter off and check the bendix drive, see if it moves freely and slides/turns out freely. If it is dirty/oily, you may be able to clean it out and squirt some clean oil on the shft and move it back and forth :icon_thumby: to free it up you make have replace just the bendix drive, maybe like $10, but I am not sure on a 2.3 startter...

This is not a 2.3 starter, but it gives an idea...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals