• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing B3000 Cruise Control switches

DownSouth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
I am the proud owner of a 1999 B3000 3.0 V6. I want to replace the cruise control switches on the steering wheel because the Florida sun has melted the surface finish off of the switches and cracked the rubber underneath. They still function but they look awful, the rest of the interior is in great shape so I want to get it looking good again.

I need some advice about the airbag assembly in the steering wheel.

Can I just unplug the airbag to move it out of the way while I replace the switches? Or is there more involved? Is there anything I could do wrong to cause the airbag to go off?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it's that easy.

Disconnect the battery.

Pull the cover plugs, take out the bolts, remove the airbag, disconnect it, set it aside and do the switches, being careful with removing the connectors on the wire tape.

Not hard at all.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Do not allow a static charge to build when handling the airbag, they will blow from static. In other words, touch bare unpainted metal frequently while handling them, and before and after picking them up or putting them down.
Until it is disconnected, stay away from the passenger facing side, and move it with the passenger facing side away from you.

DownSouth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the tips. Now I just need to get the replacement switches and get 'er done. The local dealer wants $90 and it looks like I can find them online for $40-50.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals