• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with trans question ASAP !

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone , I checked the Tech Library and didnt come up with a definitive answer ( or Im just illiterate :D). I have a 92 Ext Cab Ranger with the 3.0 V6 that blew the A4LD trans. Big surprise right ? When I put it in any gear it " lurches " like it wants to move , but just sits there slipping. Anyway , money is stupidly tight right now and has been for awhile. I have a chance to get another A4LD from a guy I have dealt with on two other occasions for parts. He has an A4LD from an '88 Ranger that he wants 200 bucks for. I checked with the tranny shop and they seem to think that the 88 trans will work fine by using my bell housing. But the Tech Library seems to make it sound like the electronic lock up is going to be an issue, as it was non existant in '88.

The guy is willing to let me take the trans to my shop and have it evaluated for suitability and condition before I pay him for it. But since money is so tight right now , I dont want to pay my shop guy an hourly rate to check out the trans if it wont even work in my truck.

Ideas ? Suggestions ? A rebuild of my existing '92 A4LD is out of the question ( price ) so Im stuck with crossing my fingers on a used or salvage yard tranny. The shop said they'll swap in any trans I bring them for $300 in labor , so Im trying to get by as cheaply as I can on buying the actual trans.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Not sure about your year a4ld, but I'd swap to m5r1. I went through 4 autos before I swapped mine.

Trailrated92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bumped to top for the hope of some help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals