• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grounds

deadbeat

Reaction score
Guys, i was reading posts about grounds on the 2.9, i have a 90 ranger and I read about an orange ground wire that goes to the passenger side of the motor. I went and looked at mine, cant find the wire or any wire that is orange that isnt hooked up to anything. The guy who swapped my motor out left the ground off the drivers side head to the wiper motor. The posts say it comes out of the tfi module, but mine has no orange wire. Any information about this ground and what harness it comes out of would be much appreciated.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is no Orange ground wire

It's an open braided band. it bolts to the back of the Drivers side head and bolts to the stud at the wiper motor.

The negative post on the battery should have a cable that bolts to the frame,Tee's off, and then bolts to the block on the passenger side.

deadbeat

Reaction score
2.9Ls have ONE ground strap to the upper intake. It goes on the driver's side near center. There should be NO other ground straps going there. Both heads have and need grounds. One is a strap (driver's side) and the other is an orange wire coming out of a wiring harness. Leaving either of these out will cause driveability problems.

there is also one on the other side, or that is what it said in a bunch of posts I have read

Last edited:

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
on my 83,the orange wire,ground from pcm lands on the rear of drivers side head on the same bolt that holds the braided strap going up to the fire wall.for 1990 the haynes manual shows this wire to be black.should have an eyelet connector the bolt goes through.mine comes from wire harness going to distributor and goes behind carb to the back of the head.hope this helps.

deadbeat

Reaction score
the only orange wire I can find on mine goes into the o2 sensor plug, i cant find an eyelet on any wire. I have a problem with the way my truck runs and everyone in other threads have discussed this ground that I cannot find, I had the motor changed once and the guy did a shatty job.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
all the wiring diagrams in my book show a 2.3,3.0 and 4.0 engine but no 2.9.and the ground is black #20 from pcm.i show a orange wire to o2 sensor w/black/lt.green wire to ground.

deadbeat

Reaction score
thanks man, youve been a lot of help, i cant find a wire but MakG says there is one there on the 2.9, maybe he can tell me more

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'll actually have to locate the 2.9 harness that's around here (somewhere)
and look.

Tomorrow or sunday.

It's dark now.

AD

deadbeat

Reaction score
would it serve the same purpose if i just put a ground between the heads?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
... 2.9, i have a 90 ranger and I read about an orange ground wire that goes to the passenger side of the motor. I went and looked at mine, cant find the wire or any wire that is orange that isnt hooked up to anything. The guy who swapped my motor out left the ground off the drivers side head to the wiper motor. The posts say it comes out of the tfi module, but mine has no orange wire...
That would be a BROWN wire grounding to the passenger side head that comes out of the wiring harness near the TFI module....at least on my 87 4x2. However the 87 4x4 didn't have this wire. Not for sure about your 90.

There is no Orange ground wire.

It's an open braided band. it bolts to the back of the Drivers side head and bolts to the stud at the wiper motor.

The negative post on the battery should have a cable that bolts to the frame,Tee's off, and then bolts to the block on the passenger side.
YES.

Last edited:

deadbeat

Reaction score
so there could be a brown, does it come out of the large harness that goes over the firewall or the small one that the tfi comes out of?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
so there could be a brown, does it come out of the large harness that goes over the firewall or the small one that the tfi comes out of?
Out of the TFI harness, guess I should have been more specific.

deadbeat

Reaction score
I looked into mine yesterday. Turns out mine has a black wire with an orange stripe on it. It is the bottom wire out of the TFI module. I found the spot where someone had broke the wire. I added in the ground.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Does it run any different?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals