• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cold start problems

RangerRoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Whats going on with my ranger? In the morning when the engines cold all it will do is turn over.
But if I hook a set of jumper cables from another car to it, it will start right up.

But when the engines warm I have no problems starting it at all

From my little mechanical knowledge it sounds like its not getting spark, but if someone could help me pin point the problem that would be awesome

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Whats going on with my ranger? In the morning when the engines cold all it will do is turn over.
But if I hook a set of jumper cables from another car to it, it will start right up.

But when the engines warm I have no problems starting it at all

From my little mechanical knowledge it sounds like its not getting spark, but if someone could help me pin point the problem that would be awesome
Does it turn over just as well on its on battery as when being jumped?

clean the connections at the battery posts then on to grounds in the system.

RangerRoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Forget what I said about spart

So knowing that if spark isn't the problem fuel is when your engine wont start. I had the idea of spraying engine started fluid into the intake and sure enough it started right up.
So what does that mean, if the engine doesn't start when cold without a little persuation from starter fluid are my injectors dirty or what?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
So knowing that if spark isn't the problem fuel is when your engine wont start. I had the idea of spraying engine started fluid into the intake and sure enough it started right up.
So what does that mean, if the engine doesn't start when cold without a little persuation from starter fluid are my injectors dirty or what?

COULD mean a number of things..start with simple stuff...rule it out as a cause. dirty injectors might be a possibility...but they would probably give you fits wheater it is warm or cold

1st;
it also could mean that your fuel filter is getting clogged, change it or have it changed.
how is the air filter...check it

2nd;
could mean that the FPR is on it way out....take the little vacuum line off the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) if it is wet, or fuel drips from it ...mostlikey it bad... replace it...would explain hard cold start. If you know its spark is good.

3rd;
could be a faulty air temperature sensor....not registering when it is cold for extra fuel to start.

does it run rough at 1st when you do get to lite up??? how about the rest of the time after its been running??

have some one watch or take note yourself, (easier another pair of eyes), the tailpipe when starting does it belch clouds of dark/black out the exhaust after it running (cold or warm) then clear up??

Last edited:

RangerRoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yah, when it first starts when cold I have to give it gas every couple of seconds when it starts to stall or it will cut out on me, until it warms ups then it runs fine. And yes the exhaust does seem a little thicker when its cold, not black but
like its running rich.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
RangerRoad

If you haven't already, this might help narrow things down.

When you jump it with another vehicle, does the motor turn over significantly faster? If you disconnect your battery, and just connect and start using the jump battery, is the problem the same? Have you tried charging your battery? If so, any difference? (Might indicate a weak battery or fuel pressure?) When was the last time you gapped and changed plugs? (too large gap/too worn?)

CraigK

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
mine i turn the key until i hear a relay click and then kit the key and it fires up.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Yah, when it first starts when cold I have to give it gas every couple of seconds when it starts to stall or it will cut out on me, until it warms ups then it runs fine. And yes the exhaust does seem a little thicker when its cold, not black but
like its running rich.
concidering this additional info, ...presuming that the battery and cables are making good contact, and thicker/darker exhust goes away after it is warmed up... in this order
...I'd zero in on the coolant temp sensor, or the air temp sensor ,& FPR .

all 3 relatively easy to change...the FPR mostlikely be the most expensive, the air & coolant sensors less pricey. any of which could give you this overfueling condition when cold...the FPR can but would give you more of the condition even after warm.

agreed with the others that chimed in...it maybe a good time to do a tune up...new plugs & wires too. The overfueling on cold start probably has started to ,if not, fouled the plugs.

hope that helps

RangerRoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
funny you would say that

Funny you would say that considering I just bought the ranger, like a month ago and Im still trying to figure out the kinks that this tipe of motor has. Anyways I was looking around in the glove box the other day and found receipts that say that some one had ran a diagnoses on the motor and found that the coolant temp. sensor and idle air control motor were bad and that they were replaced just about a month ago. That being said Ill it narrows the search down a little. Ill try the tune up and work my way through the rest of the awesome info I have gotten so fair.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals