• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

newb transmission swap question

dablackranger86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, sorry in advance for sounding like a moron or not knowing what im talking about,

the problem: i have a ranger with a near dead engine. Its a 1986 xlt extended cab with a 2.9 v6 2wd. with a 5 speed manual transmission.
Ive done a decent amount of work but with the cost of the engine rebuild or swap, i could just buy another truck with 4x4 and some other modern perks.

So instead of fixing the old truck I have decided to look for another truck and pull as many of the new parts off of the old truck and swap them to the newer one. I have found on the internet a 93 ranger sport for sale...just says v6, 4x4 needs a manual transmission,

the question: can i take the manual transmission from the 86 2.9 v6 and swap it into the 93 v6 4x4 manual truck?

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No... Not if you want 4wd... Also, the 93 would have to be a 4.0, and even then the fm wouldn't last behind the 4.0. M5OD's are cheap, and a dime a dozen for the 93.

Last edited:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
you could if you wanted to , but like ati said , M5OD's are plentiful , but in order to reuse your trans , you would have to get a 4.0 truck , then take the tailshaft housing off or your trans , take the trans to t-case housing off a 4x4 truck , then bolt the other trucks t-case to it , not really worth the effort in my book

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No... Not if you want 4wd... Also, the 93 would have to be a 4.0, and even then the fm wouldn't last behind the 4.0. M5OD's are cheap, and a dime a dozen for the 93.
"Would have to be a 4.0" isn't correct.

They made 3.0 4x4's too.

My 93 supercab 4x4 is a 3.0.

Thought not for long.
I bought it with the intention of converting it to a 4.0

AD

dablackranger86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hmm, 200 for the rebuilt motor isnt a bad deal, but i guess getting it tested and shipped from PA would be the hard part.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals