• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MSD Coil Packs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a '97 with a 2.3 and I want to up grade my coil packs, I have heard of people using the MSD 4-tower ones (that are made for a 4.6, I think) has anyone ever done this mod or know of someone that has, what is involved? will it plug into my factory wiring?

I posted this in the 4-banger forum as well but I thought maybe it will get more hits being on the home page thanks again

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Gotta tell ya, for the vast majority of streetable late models vehicles, the ignition coil is just about the most useless "upgrade' there is.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay, does anyone have any recommendations for performance that I can do to my 2.3 that won't mess with the ECU, when I got it it had an intake on it and a cat back Magnaflow, all that I have done is taken the magnaflow off and put on a 40 series, I am looking to rebuild it in the hear future and I wanna put a cam in it but I don't know how that will affect the ECU

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Truthfully the best mod to do is slap a turbo charger on it. Many people have done it around here and is less expensive and more effective than all the B.S. air intakes, chips, ignition, etc. You can run 4 psi of boost and get about 40 more horses out of your engine. I mean it's a 4 cylinder. You could throw $1000 dollars at it with these bolt on mods and get nowhere or slap a turbo on at half the cost and get more. My .02.

Cherrybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 and 1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You could also look into the D.U.I Coil packs. i dont have them, but i know D.U.I makes a very nice product. I had motorcraft which came stock on my 360 and i know the DUI distributor made a huge difference. If you do go that way make sure you get the DUI wires or Taylor wires. You put stock smaller mm wires on there and youll fry them. literally. http://www.performancedistributors.com/rangerignition.htm

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I like the Accel coil packs and wires.They are bright yellow and look neat under the hood.Not that I am going to get them,as stated,coil packs are not a good upgrade as the stock packs put out plenty of spark even for a modified engine.but if I had to get new coils because I broke one or something,I would get the aftermarket Accels.With a good porting,cam,bore,milled,a good header,24lbs,and a good chip,we are running about a 175 hp in a post 95 engine.We have about $1100 in our good race motor and I could run it on the street if I wanted to.I think if I ever build a street ranger,I'll put on a supercharger on a stock engine,maybe a piston upgrade.Just got a 45 dodge pickup and I am leaning toward putting the body on a late model ranger running gear

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
What cam are you currently using?

And I thought you guys weren't allowed to modify your engines.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well,um,hmmm,ahem,it is stock,had to "clean"up the bore and head,injectors fell apart,couldn't find 14 lb ones,intake gaskets didn't fit good,flywheel was bent and out of balance.Cam is a stock roller thou.passed tech every week,only got caught on a weight issue(weighed 2515 and have to weigh 2550 now).S-10,s got caught with flat top pistons,cut intakes,and 5.13 gears

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Unless your turning the 4cyl above 9k rpm, coils ain't gonna do crap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals