• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AL4D puked oil

kenrat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just finished changing all the fluids and filters (including a external magnetic trans filter )in my 87 Ranger 2.9 4x4. I drove to town today and it worked fine. At some point near home It started puking ATF, at least 100 yards of it. Still running and shifting fine. I had used Walmart Mercon ATF (3 I think) I'll look tomorrow. There was nothing on the dip stick. I suspect the front seal or the vent tube but am going to pressure wash underneath tomorrow and try to find the vent tube. It did not come out the filler tube and was not over filled. It was about 90 degrees out and was not loaded. Any ideas ?
Thanks Ken

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
when an A4LD spits fluid ALWAYS suspect the vent tube.

AD

Mosinman76254

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1995
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Cologne 2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember correctly you can not use Mercon (ATF) in an A4LD. You have to use either straight mercon, which is hard to get, or Mercon V.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember correctly you can not use Mercon (ATF) in an A4LD. You have to use either straight mercon, which is hard to get, or Mercon V.
Ummm....what? You said you cannot use Mercon in an A4LD, then you said you CAN use Mercon in the next sentence.

First off, there are only 2 types of Mercon (Actually, there's more than 2, but they're pretty irrelevant in this case): There's regular ol' Mercon, and Mercon V. Mercon IS what the A4LD uses. Mercon V supercedes regular Mercon, so it too can be used in an A4LD. I don't know what the hell you mean by "straight" Mercon. :icon_confused:

Mosinman76254

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1995
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Cologne 2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The writer typed he used Merson (ATF). So I typed that he can't use Mercon (ATF). You only read half of what I typed! You typed regular ol' Mercon and I called it "Straight". Then I said the he HAS to use Mercon or Mercon V. I don't understand your reply but we are both right!

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The writer typed he used Merson (ATF). So I typed that he can't use Mercon (ATF). You only read half of what I typed! You typed regular ol' Mercon and I called it "Straight". Then I said the he HAS to use Mercon or Mercon V. I don't understand your reply but we are both right!
Mercon (ATF) and straight/regular ol' Mercon are the same thing. ATF simply stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid. So he CAN use Mercon (ATF).

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I Think mosinman76256 meant to say "Type F" in there somewhere.

So everyone switch to decaf for their next few cups...

AD

kenrat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My screw-up?

Well I checked and am using Walmart Dextron III and all Mecron it says on the jug. It puked again today. That is twice while driving up my driveway after a 40 mile round trip to town. The stick says empty again but the truck ran fine. I still have not found the vent tube. I changed the main trans filter and the aux trans magnetic filter under the radiator last week and that is when the trouble started. I am starting to wonder if the aux filter is the is the wrong one and restricting flow. It looks like a large gasoline filter and is a different brand then I had on there ??? Any ideas ? Thanks for the help. Ken in S. Oregon

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If a tranny overheats it will puke the fluid out also..check water in radiator to be sure its full..if the internal tranny cooler is half exposed in radiator tranny will run hot.

kenrat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, do you mean blocked by the grill or just low on water ? I am running new 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water. By the way, I have run distilled water after a radiator flush in all my vehicles for 20 years and never had a rust problem. One reason is I live in the sticks and have been on high mineral content well water. Ken

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals