• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

T-5 behind 4.0l ?

Anezangl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm getting real confused. I just had a "motorhead" ( friend of mine ) tell me that I should be able to put a T-5 behind my 1994, 4.0l, four wheel drive, ext. cab ranger. ??????? Is that possible? And he has one real cheap! :icon_confused:

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
4x4? No... Without a whole ton of trouble... It's not like an M50D is that expensive...

Anezangl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Beanmachine7000, its true M5OD's are not the expensive but............this is the fourth M5OD in the last 8 years, changing them out is getting a little old. I have done them myself and had them done by the pro's and get the same outcome. I am not hard on the truck, it is my daily driver. About a 15 to 20 mile round trip. Never have used the 4-wheel option and I drive like an old man so.....I figure if I could put a different tranny in the truck it would save me the headache of doing this again in two years. :sad:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a tranny with over 100k on it in my 94 and i beat on my truck and tow shit all the time idk whats wrong with yours.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The T-5's came behind several 4x4 applications but never a Ford. It could be done with buying the expensive adapters. I tend to stay away from cheap transmissions. Did you get them done by pro's with a 50,000 miles warrenty?
Dave

wahl_7s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6.4,3.0,3.0,4.0SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Isn't a T-5 a manual trans? I know a couple guys that run them in mazda's!

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are you keeping fluid in it? That's the easiest way to kill one, and the reason mine is about shot at only 170K miles (yes, I said ONLY 170K) I've had more than one (along with the OEM clutch) go well over 250K miles...

Anezangl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes sir, after the first two I made a religion out of checking that the fluid is where it should be, also changed to the metal plugs behind the shifter rail. ( Learned that here ) Can't explain it. Neighbors are stumped too. Would like to keep the truck as it has sentimental value. My fourteen year old wants it when he turns 16 to boot. I guess I'll put another M5OD in it if I can find one here local. Maybe I should have this one rebuilt local? :icon_confused:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why not just pay the money and have a shop do it and get a warranty?

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Something must be going on with the trans's you are getting. Heck one from jasper comes with a 3 yr 100K warranty, and a local one comes usually with 12K or more warranty.

Anezangl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, my new ( rebuilt) M5OD arrived yesterday. Got it from a shop in Tallahassee ( $833.00 ) , spoke with the Tallahassee Better Business and the Chamber o Commerce about this shop, both said they have a A+ rating ( for what ever that's worth ) Now I need those freeze plug looking plugs for behind the shifter rail again because the new tranny has the rubber ones. Gonna have to search the site again for the part numbers for them little rascals. :yahoo:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did this one come with a warranty?

Anezangl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes it did. 5 - n - 1, 5 minutes or until I get to US highway 1, which ever is first! :D Actually its 12 months / unlimited mileage...........thats about the best I could find re-manufactured, local shop wanted $1200 and only would give a 12/12. :dunno:

explorersportster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an m5od in my 94 exploder that I beat the hell out of, and towed enclosed trailers loaded with tools and building supplies for several years. Mine finally melted due to fluid loss at 225,000 miles. I got a reman from a place called mantrans, I think in Florida and haven't had an issue since. Are you replacing the pilot bearing too? Ive heard vibration can contribute to trans failure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals