• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission install question

MichiganLarry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger 4wd
Make / Model
1983 Jeep CJ-7
Transmission
Automatic
My sons and I are doing the 4x4 conversion on my youngest boy's 89 ranger. We have swapped the cradle and have the motor sitting on the mounts. Last night we tried to install the A4LD. We got the tranny up to the motor and lined up the studs in the convertor with the flex plate but couldn't get it to slide up tight to the motor. We seem to stop just at the point where the alignment guides on the lowest set of holes are just touching the block. Any suggestions or tips for this? We are trying to get the truck running so he can drive it to school on Tuesday.

MichiganLarry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger 4wd
Make / Model
1983 Jeep CJ-7
Transmission
Automatic
A little more information. Engine and flex plate are from the 89. Trans and converter are from the 88. There wouldn't be a difference between years, would there?

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
is the converter seated all the way(have to roatate it a little bit till it drops all the way down onto the splines, and the flex plate is on the block correctly and not backwards, correct?
if it was a manual orginally, i think there is a bushing that may be in the way of the torque conerter,if its still there on the engine crankshaft

MichiganLarry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger 4wd
Make / Model
1983 Jeep CJ-7
Transmission
Automatic
is the converter seated all the way(have to roatate it a little bit till it drops all the way down onto the splines, and the flex plate is on the block correctly and not backwards, correct?
if it was a manual orginally, i think there is a bushing that may be in the way of the torque conerter,if its still there on the engine crankshaft
I will check the convertor tonight but I am pretty sure it is all the way in. That seems to make the most sense. I know when we built my other son's Chevelle we had to be really carefull to get the converter on the last set of "teeth" to get it all the way in the tranny.

Flex plate never came off the motor.

Both trucks had A4LD auto trannies.

It's hard to get that 4wd auto to balance on the jack. :shok: It wants to roll over on that "nipple" sticking out of the pan.

We quit last night after getting frustrated and hopefully tonight with fresh nerves we can get it in place.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
swear at it alot, that seems to be what always works for me. i second the torque converter suggestion. most of the post i read about A4lds not mating properly eventually are resolved by reseating the torque converter. you should hear of feel two clicks as you are doing it. some one please correct me if im wrong.

MichiganLarry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger 4wd
Make / Model
1983 Jeep CJ-7
Transmission
Automatic
We finally got it installed last night. The convertor was not all the way seated on the transmission. We fooled around with it for over an hour with no luck. Finally pulled the transmission input shaft out and put it in the converter first then put both together into the tranny. After we finally got everything lined up it popped right in. 30 minutes later the tranny was bolted in place.

Turning the convertor to get it to drop in does NOT work!!!

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
glad to hear you got it going again, hooray for super dad!

MichiganLarry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger 4wd
Make / Model
1983 Jeep CJ-7
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. We are doing a marathon wrenching session this weekend. That truck WILL pull into the high school parking lot on Tuesday morning.

MichiganLarry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger 4wd
Make / Model
1983 Jeep CJ-7
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused: Strange, that's the way I've always done it. TH350, A4LD, AOD, C4, etc. Must have just been stubborn! :)

Pete
I've done it plenty of times on th350's too. I'm just glad its bolted back in place!!:yahoo:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've done it plenty of times on th350's too. I'm just glad its bolted back in place!!:yahoo:
Good thing too! That would have ruined the transmission in a hurry! Good luck on getting all that complete, sounds like you're getting close.

Pete

MichiganLarry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger 4wd
Make / Model
1983 Jeep CJ-7
Transmission
Automatic
My youngest boy ( the owner of the truck ) and I were just discussing our game plan for this weekend. I'm thinking dad is taking tonight off to have a conference with Jim Beam.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals