• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas Gauge not working on B2300.... Ideas???

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Just wondering if anyone (which im sure someone has) has had there Gas Gauge stop working and has fixed it? Iv owned the truck for a year and it has never worked. Its strange, the MPH works but the Odometer has stopped working recently. So now its a guessing game for gas fill ups. My truck is a 94 Mazda B2300. Let me know if you have any ideas. I think the gauge is going but id hate to buy another one and it not be fixed. Let me know what you guy think and thanks in advanced.

~Shawn

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
No one.....?????
~Shawn

locknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Engine Size
4 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Its pretty rare to have the gauge go, I would drop the tank and check the sending unit. AFTER I have double checked that all of the fuses are still good.

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking the sending unit as well, but sense my odometer just stopped working it maybe the gauge. I guess i just need to have a look at it. If the Fuel Sending Unit was going bad would it truck not run?
~Shawn

locknar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Engine Size
4 litre
Transmission
Automatic
the part that the odometer also stopped does seem odd, which is why I said to double check the fuses.
The part in the gas tank is a "fuel GAUGE sending unit" so it does not affect gas flow to the engine. The sending unit is just a big resistor with float on the end and as the gas goes down, the contact moves down the resistor creating a different voltage which the needle in the cab then shows as empty.
So the sending unit could be broken, there is a wire that connects to the gas gauge, it could be broken, or the gauge in the cab could be broken. Unfortunately at this point you are taking a guess which of three.
Odometers are usually just a mechanical gear.
You have owned the truck for a year, did it have really low mileage?

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the good info. The truck had about 151K when it stopped (about 2 months ago). It was intermittent and just one day it completely stopped. I guess i need to take the gauge out and take a look at it. Im going to run a volt test to the sending unit and see if its getting power or sending info to the gauge. If so i guess its the gauge. As for the odometer, the MPH is working fine and because the odometer was going in and out it am to believe the gear in the gauge may be broken. I just need to get off my ass and fix it...

Thanks again Locknar.
~Shawn

tylerb826

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
i know this may sound weird but a buddy of mine has a 97 b2300 and the gas gauge never worked since he bought it 3 years ago goin on 4, one day i took the passenger side kick panel off to run new speaker wires to the door and suddenly it started working and hasnt stopped since, try messin with those connectors under that panel and see what happens. Maybe it was jus a stroke of luck with that but its worth a shot.

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i know this may sound weird but a buddy of mine has a 97 b2300 and the gas gauge never worked since he bought it 3 years ago goin on 4, one day i took the passenger side kick panel off to run new speaker wires to the door and suddenly it started working and hasnt stopped since, try messin with those connectors under that panel and see what happens. Maybe it was jus a stroke of luck with that but its worth a shot.
Is the passenger side kick panel located under the passenger door, maybe 2 or 3 inches tall?

Jose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
Both my temp and fuel gauge went out a few months ago. I pulled out the instrument cluster to find that the harness behind it was partially unplugged. I've had it for about 6 months and I was dumb founded. I hooked it back up and it works. Sounds like you also have a bad connection.

coalroller17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Ever fix the problem? my 97 b2300 gas and rpm gauge have not worked since ive had the truck which is about 1 1/2 years now

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
If you poke it enough, it might work. Well, at least that's what happened with my jeep. Lol!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals