• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Burned exhaust valve?

Automan1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 92 4.0 and after it idles for a few minutes it will drop down to around 500-600 RPMs. I recall reading that if you stick a dollar bill at the tail pipe and it sucks it in you could have a burned exhaust valve. Could a miss also cause the dollar bill to do this? Also would a burned exhaust valve cause it to start idling rough after a few minutes and have no affect during normal driving. Any ideas?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it was/is a miss then no, the dollar would not suck into the tailpipe. The burnt exhaust valve allows air to be pulled back in through the exhaust side. Sounds like you need a good tune up if you have not already done it.

Automan1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have replaced spark plugs and wires, new air filter, PCV valve, CTS, O2 sensor, I have cleaned the Mass Air Sensor, IAC and Throttle body. Is there anything that I am missing?

Also is there anything else might cause it to idle fine and then drop down and start running rough?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check for vacuum leaks (IE loose intake, broken hose, power brake booster) check your injector connections. Is your check engine light coming on? If it is does it show a misfire. Could be a bad injector or even one of the new spark plugs or wires.

Automan1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is no check engine light but a few months ago when I had access to a scan tool, it was giving the codes 172 and 565. The 565 is the canister purge solenoid and we tested it and it was leaking. I unhooked the vacuum line and pluged it and it made no difference. As for the 172 it still came up after I replaced the O2 sensor. We also checked the vacuum and it was about 14-15in. which I know might be a little low, so I may have a small leak.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals