• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351W swap into a 1995 with a 302

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 1995 F150 not too long ago, has a 302 with an auto, 158,000 miles. It leaks a decent amount of oil (have put 2 quarts in it already in about a month), I think out of the rear main.

A guy at work offered me a 351W for a decent price (trade a couple of tools that I don't use for it), I'm wondering how much would be involved in the swap. It's a carb'd engine, I've read that the intake and such won't swap, so I'd need to get an intake from a fuelie 351. Would I also need the computer? What about engine mounts?

How much would be a good estimate for a decent rebuild on the 351, I don't know if it needs to be bored or not. Would I gain much by using GT40 heads if I could find a set? The way I figure it is, if I build the 351 and the truck does eventually go to hell, I can always find something else to drop it in. I don't care too much about mileage, I'm getting 10 as it is.

Pretty much would it be worth it to get the 351 or would I be better off freshening up the 302 that's in there?

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
you'd need the fuelie upper/lower intake, computer

Engine mounts should be about the same. Rebuild is gonna vary depending on what you want done - probably ~8-900, also depending on the parts, and who does the work.

I'd grab the wiring harness if you can, it would make life easier. It's not a requirement, but it's a lot easier. The biggest difference (IIRC) is the 302 is set up for mass air, and the 351 is set up for Speed Density. Heads would help, and some headers would help as well. You want your sweet spot to be around 2500 RPMS or a tad higher.
What tranny would you put behind it? Something with overdrive would be preferred.

You could probably use the exhaust on the truck - the only thing you'd have to do is widen the crossover pipe (if they cross at the engine) a few inches.

I'd say do it, and have fun with it. You can reman an engine pretty cheap, if you take your time. The swap itself should only take a week or so, working in the evenings.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm kind of thinking of getting the engine and building it in my garage over the winter, and swapping it in the spring.

The tranny that is in the truck now is a AOD-E, I don't know how well it will hold up and if it would be worth putting money into, I think I could come across a stick relatively easy if I looked.

Are there any places like an online junkyard that I could get parts from, intake and all that jazz? There are none around me, unless by some odd chance I could find someone junking out a truck. I'm looking at Jeff's bronco graveyard but am not finding much.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the heads,intake and pan and see what you have to work with.
Quick way to be up and running would be carb, D-spark dizzy and swap to a AOD (without the E lol).
you wont be able to use the 302 flex plate or balancer so be sure to get them with the 351.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm still undecided if I want to go carb or fuel injection. I think a lot of that will have to do with if I am going to get another truck next year, I'd prefer to stay with fuel injection though.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make sure the computer matches the tranny, I did the swap in my 92. I used the 302 computer and everything went fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals