• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 ranger tranny

lowbudgetranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I burnt my clutch somehow.... we pulled the tranny off and cant get the pilot bearing off.....:sad:...... Then the hydraulic clutch part that goes into the transmission wont come off..... anyone have any suggestions??????:icon_welder::icon_confused::shok: its kinda intimidating.... And I almost want to blow it to pieces:headbang::icon_twisted::thefinger:

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The slave is easy.The threaded holes that bolt the slave cylinder on go all the way thru to the transmission face,so get some extra long bolts and put it there and they will force the front bearing cover off when they bottom out on the transmission face.The pilot bearing might have an easy solution as well.I ran into the same thing a couple months ago.I broke a snap on removal tool on a stubborn pilot so after racking my brain on how to get it out I noticed there was all kinds of room behind the pilot bearing,so since the pilot would go backwards i just hammered it all the way to the bottom of the hole in the crankshaft.Not my usual way of fixing things but it worked out good and by the way this was a 4.0 crankshaft,I dont know what motor you have but it would be a good idea to check and see how much room you have behind your pilot before forcing it back.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
for the pilot bearing you can generally get them out with a dowel or something the same size of the shaft, pack the bearing with wheel bearing grease then hit the dowel with a hammer, this will hydraulically force it out, if you screw up the bearing this won't work though. I screwed mine up when I removed it so I used a dremel to cut through the outer wall and pulled it out, you have to be careful with this method as to not ruin the crank the bearing is mounted in...

for the throw out bearing, yank really hard, it'll come off

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just take the flywheel off and hammer the bitch out with a socket

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i believe his bearing is pressed into the end of the crank shaft so using a socket wont work. i have a spare input shaft from a M5OD that i use along with the grease method. the hardest part is getting myself into a position where i can swing a hammer at the end of the shaft and hit it hard enough to make it force the bearing out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals