• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newbie Question

Lifted96Shortbox

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 1996 ranger and i want to kno how to take the headunit out so i can put my new one in

im suppose to take the black trim peice around it off rite but where are the screws or what not to get it off

foxmx217

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
its really easy to take off, theres two screws on the under side of the black trim. (just look at it upside down and you see it). Then theres this thing called a din tool that goes into those 4 little holes. google that, and make your own its just a u-shaped piece of metal. im pretty sure thats the only stuff but if you see any other screws in the immediate area, take those out too.

97Power_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I made my "ford stereo removal tool" out of a coat hanger lol, I'm not gonna pay $6 for a piece of bent metal I can make myself.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yep you need a din tool. when i ordered my stereo from crutchfield, they inlcluded them for free. along with the dash kit and adapter harness. but most stereos they sell can be had for less if you shop around.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
theres also woofersetc.com

not always, but sometimes you can find good deals on amazon. they usually have multiple sellers, so the prices are competitive

97Power_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
theres also woofersetc.com

not always, but sometimes you can find good deals on amazon. they usually have multiple sellers, so the prices are competitive

Wooferetc.com is overpriced IMO

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals