• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front axle hill-climb limiting strap

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I can't remember who here put a limiting strap on their front axle [probably 4x4junkie :)] but can they post some pictures and/or explain what they did? I don't understand how it prevents uphill front-end lift without limiting down travel when you want it.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
If you were to get creative, and mount a pulley on the outside corner of both sides of the frame, and used a fixed length of cable, that would still allow your suspension to travel over terrain, but it would prevent both sides from dropping out together.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yep, thats what I did on mine. The cable has just enough slack to let the tires droop together about 3-4" from ride height. This is so the onroad ride isn't affected.

You can see the cable in this pic, I'll try to get more pics of the 1x1 sq. tube I used to run the cable through.

Last edited:

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
4x4junkie, the underside of your BII is just plain wrong. I was just admiring the neighbor's BII because its only starting to get cancer unlike mine which is end-stage. All I have to look forward to is global warming I guess. And then everyone from Cali will move north because it will be too hot.

Anyway, between JohnnyU's repsonse and that picture, I completely get it. Thats pretty smart. I was climbing the right-of-way on my property and the nose lift was just unbearable. I don't have rear shocks on right now so that doesn't help but I could feel the scissoring effect pretty good.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Lol, that thing's not quite as 'perfect' as you'd expect a Ca vehicle to be, the core support has a bit of rot around the bodymounts, and when I pulled the rear shock brackets off to extend them, there were layers of rust flaking off both the frame and bracket in between there (I think it may have spent at least one or two winters back east maybe)

You got your springs in?

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Lol, that thing's not quite as 'perfect' as you'd expect
Sigh. :eek:

You got your springs in?
I was taking a final spin in the current configuration to remind myself what it feels like off-road so no, and I haven't gotten the Heep isolators in the mail yet. That and my wife reminded me (thats the nice way of saying it) that I promised to finish the kid's swingset and start his treehouse before I worked on the BII anymore. So, the swingset is done minus a few loads of dirt to level out the ground and the tree brackets are gonna get welded Wednesday if I don't get called away to work. My wife chose a 20x24' treehouse design that will attach to four trees!!! And the trees need to move with the wind without ripping the tree house apart so I've been learning all about treehouse supports that allow for that. Life is entirely too busy and complicated. I hope my boy likes building things and helps me out in a few years.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Dang! That's some treehouse project you got going. Your boy is gonna have it made in that thing.:rockon:

Anyway, here's some more pics:

Pulley

I just welded the 1x1" tube straight to a couple of common 2½" hardware-store pulleys. Just make sure they have metal wheels (not plastic)
(the ones I have say National on them)
The cable is 3/16" stainless I got at the same hardware store (I've seen this at Home Depot as well).
The brace on the side adds lateral stability to the whole thing.

Last edited:

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
When I get the treehouse platform done I'll post some pics. Its what happens when you give the woman a book of designs and say, "Pick whichever one you want." His daycare teachers and friends have already volunteered us for next years summer party.
----
What you did is totally awesome! I've been sitting here for five mintues, repeating to my wife, "That is just fawking genius right there." [Don't get too big a head though. :)] I think I may add this to my short list of projects to do before I get The Deuce back on the road.

Do you realize the 1x1 tube is rustier than the truck? Talk about irony.

I take it you don't get ANY flak for having a Ford on the trails full of Heeps, huh? Make some stickers that say, "I've been schooled by a Bronco II" and refuse to courier parts unless they stick it somewhere prominent.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I actually came up with this after seeing a dude that had something similar on his lifted TJ. His was a strap going from the center of the axle (straightaxle) to a crossmember on the frame, which effectively served the same purpose.
It definitely makes a big difference in stability. You don't have the front suspension unloading near as much (raising your CG and throwing all the weight on the rear axle). You'll have better visibility over your hood, too.

As for getting flak from Jeep owners... happens all the time. I just ignore 'em and remember why it is I won't ever own a Jeep :no2:
That's a cool idea on the sticker thing though (There's been more than a couple occasions I've had to ferry Jeep parts, too lol).

Its what happens when you give the woman a book of designs and say, "Pick whichever one you want."

Asterisks... *** Gotta have them asterisks when you make offers like that lol.

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen the center limiting straps for straight axles. This is much more ingenious than that regardless of what inspired it.

I got my Prothane isolators today. They don't really "hold" the spring. I'm gonna drive out to the Jeep dealer and compare it to the stock isolator. I'll have my 3/4" spacer already then. f'n well-laid plans.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've seen the center limiting straps for straight axles. This is much more ingenious than that regardless of what inspired it.
Yeah, I guess it is a little bit simpler to do this on a straightaxle than a TTB, huh... :icon_twisted:

I like it though. Watching the faces of people like that turn puzzled when I come up behind and plant the tire of my "crappy" bronco II with it's "IFS" junk on the same rock they just got done teetering over makes it all worth it. :D

I think it was only around $20 or so for the parts needed to make it anyway.

While mounting it, you might have to trim the corner of your battery tray just a bit to get it to clear. It shouldn't interfere with the battery itself at all though.

Last edited:

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I guess it is a little bit simpler to do this on a straightaxle than a TTB, huh... :icon_twisted:
Not even close.

I like it though. Watching the faces of people like that turn puzzled when I come up behind and plant the tire of my "crappy" bronco II with it's "IFS" junk on the same rock they just got done teetering over makes it all worth it. :D
:taunt:

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
so, are they pullies welded in place and don't move, the cable only slides on them?

it looks like you mounted the cable on the front of the beam where the sway bar would have attached...it that it? got any pics of how you mounted it?

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I am missing the point here. What is the purpose of the straps and doesn't it limit flex ????

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The cable doesn't let both front tires go to full droop at the same time when climbing hills, helps keep the nose down and the front tires on the ground. But it still lets one side droop and the other stuff so it doesn't limit your flex at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals