• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Using a Relay

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I'm in the process of installing a pair of 55 watt fog lamps. I was going to tap into the parking lights, but there are three wires coming out of the parking lights bulb. Obviously, one is a ground, the other is parking, and the last one is hazard/flasher. Which one is the parking light (constant on)? Above all, could I tap in through there for the relay?

Also, let's just say I were to change my mind and instead tap into the 12V Cig lighter, would I still be able to use it to charge my phone and or iPod? I know they are not designed to charge laptops and electronics, but if I tap into the 12V for the relay, could I still use it for regular electronics?

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Can't help you with the specific wires, but you can run a hot for the lights then use the parking light power to activate the relay - then again, do you always want the lights on with the parking lights? An additional switch might be the way to do.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Which one is the parking light (constant on)?
The Brown wire is parking lights (+).

Above all, could I tap in through there for the relay?
Yes.

Also, let's just say I were to change my mind and instead tap into the 12V Cig lighter, would I still be able to use it to charge my phone and or iPod?
Yes.

I know they are not designed to charge laptops and electronics, but if I tap into the 12V for the relay, could I still use it for regular electronics?
Yes.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the responses.

I will still be using a switch. I will be using the factory one and as we all know, unlike most switches, this switch is run through the negative side. All I need is something to trigger the relay (in this case, the parking lights)

Here's another question. For the 86 side of the relay, if I want them to turn on at any time, can I just plug a wire directly from the battery and into the 86? If yes, does it have to have a fuse? If so, how what type? 5 amps? 20 amps?

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Also, I forgot to mention, but my relay makes a clicking sound when I turn it off and when I turn it off. What does that mean? Is that normal operation?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The clicking noise is the electromagnet in the relay opening and closing.

And you can trigger the relay using the ground side, you would just have to switch the 86 and 85 terminals. 85 would go to your switch (ground) and 86 would go to a 12v source.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals