• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just picked up a turbo motor

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Well, I went to the JY today to look at a '88 TC. It turns out it's got a motor from a '88 XR4TI in it. It didn't have an intercooler, nor did it have the hood scoop for one. The only numbers I could find on the turbo were on the compressor side and said .60 AR. The computer was still attached to the kick panel. I couldn't see the code on it but I'm hoping it still has the LA3 in it.

Anyways, the motor was in really clean nice shape (the E6 was barely even rusty). I ended up agreeing to purchase the whole set up from them for $350. I gave them the list of parts I wanted and they said they'd have it on a pallet for me next saturday.

Wish me luck - I'm going to need it putting this thing in my ranger. :beer:

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it was a TurboCoupe and not a 'run of the mill' T-bird with the motor swapped in? I can see installing a XR4Ti motor in place of a blown T-bird motor but not getting rid of the hood.

For $350, did you get to hear it run? In this neck of the woods, they are about $150 at junkyards.

Either way :icon_cheers: to you.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it was a TurboCoupe and not a 'run of the mill' T-bird with the motor swapped in? I can see installing a XR4Ti motor in place of a blown T-bird motor but not getting rid of the hood.
It was a bona-fide turbo coupe complete with the "turbocoupe" emblem on the trunk lid and the premium fuel switch and ride control switch next to the steering wheel. The build date shown on the door sticker was 7-88. The timing belt cover had '88 XR4Ti written on it in white marking paint.

For $350, did you get to hear it run? In this neck of the woods, they are about $150 at junkyards.
A couple other yards around here had them for 300 but they were already pulled and did not include all the swap stuff such as wiring, computer, sensors, relays etc. This one is still in the car and they're giving me all the extra parts I requested. Externally, the motor is in super nice shape for being 20 years old. I do plan on re-ringing it before installing it in my ranger.

They had many thunderbirds but only the one turbocoupe.

Last edited:

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
$150 for a complete turbo motor?!
i think they want 4x that much for them here!

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, $150, when you can find them. Unfortunately, by the time I find them someone has already removed the turbo. Though actually I haven't bothered to look for any recently, let alone buy them. I think I still have 3 or 4 here somewhere and have been trying to get rid of some of them.

D94R

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
$150 for a complete turbo motor?!
i think they want 4x that much for them here!

If that's the case, I'll sell you a spare one of mine, and I have a bridge you might be interested in too lol.

In all seriousness though. Where are you finding any engines out here? (not that I need another one lol) And I'll agree, some of the JY's out here are a joke for pricing.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i found one in my hometown. i havent really checked at all those yards around Rocky Mountain Raceways, but I'm sure there is something there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals