• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Advice

firstford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I own a 1993 Ford Ranger XL 4x4. V6 155,000 miles. Automatic trans.
Just to give you a little background, I am the 3rd owner, and as I was told the vehicle was never used for any hauling or heavy loads, I do some light landscaping with it.

Yesterday my father got my vehicle stuck in the woods using it to dump some brush and dirt. In his attempt to get it out he was shifting from Reverse to Drive with the engine revving, this of course didnt bode well for my truck, a buddy pulled her out with chains, and while the engine runs and turns over no problem, none of the gears would engage.
Ive put some additive and transmission fluid in this morning, but the truck didnt move. Since I was not going to throw a new tranny into the truck i put it up on craigslist. About 6 hours after putting in the transmission fluid I made a last ditch attempt to get it off of my street and into my driveway, I found that when i push the engine at about 3,000 rpms, she heaves forward, same in reverse, heaves and complains but I got it all of the 30 feet to my driveway.

I need advice as to if there is another problem that isnt the transmission, and what this could cost me. I am not extremely mechanically inclined, If anyone has any idea what could be the culprit, I would greatly appreciate it!

Any information or ideas would be appreciated, im in the dark as it is.

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
wouldn't give up just yet. they will take some abuse and survive. It may just have gotten hot and puked a quart out.

1st: check the dipstick for trans fluid, level and color. should be in the hash marks with the engine temp gage at a normal temp, engine idling and in park or neutral. Color should be new fluid pink, with no brown or black streaks and SHOULD NOT smell like bad french fry oil or cheap expresso coffee. if it isn't at least pink/red, change it. same for burnt smells.

sounds like you may be a quart low on fluid. too much is as bad as too little, but they get squirrely when low.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
yep, id start where piotrsko said, and also check your vaccum line running from the modulator valve to the intake. mine had a leak and the valve was bad (cheap part) but it didnt want to move easily and would slam gears when it got going.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals