• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 L M50D 5R1 Hell to find for a 92?

cre8iveauto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Gents (and Ladies) PLEASE HELP ME find a cross reference for a replacement I thought I had an easy solution for my grandfather's 1992 Ford Ranger with a 3.0L V6 with a manual 5 speed. I have searched every yard with in 200 miles of him and I can not find one that old. I thought that all M50D M5R1's were created equal based on sales ads on eBay. Now I see that the bell housings are all different between the 2.3 3.0 and 4.o? Is that true? Will a newer 3.0 5 speed work in his 92? His gernaded as the local Jiffy Joke doesnt check the manual tranny levels when they service vehicles (told him there was no way to ? aka lazy or just pure stupid). He lives in the rust belt (aka Midwest near Omaha NE) and all the local yards must have crushed them. He is a snow bird and comes down to Arizona in the winter so the truck is in premo shape for a 92, but he is 83 and can't afford a $800 rebuild from Europe... I built this truck from a total way back in 1993 so "we" are attached to it. :bawling:

DSFD505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i know a 93-94 tranny will work and maybe up to 97. Bellhousings are different for each motor. It will have to be from a 3.0. When I bought mine few years back, I paid $700 for one from a junkyard. Good luck finding one though, that was my hardest part.

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
depending on where you live there are transmission shops that have m5r1 cases laying around, i got mine completely rebuilt for 900$.. but i looked for 3 months tryin to find one in a junk yard or personal sale but with no luck.. but keep looking!! if you cant spend alot of money to have one rebuilt then its going to have to be from a junked ranger(which dosent go unseen by us ranger guys)..

i hope this helps, and the 3.0 motor to trans bolts didnt change much threw the years. my case if actually from a 98.. and i have a 95 3.0

if you find a trans that seems to fit then take your (dust plate) from between the motor and trans and go line it up! if theres no plate use paper!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
All you need to do on a 95-up 2wd Mazda is swap the tailcone and speedo gear onto the "new" transmission...
even though the later ones don't have a speedo gear on the shaft the ball detent holeand the circlip grove are still there, even on shafts as late as 2003 (the newest I've personally seen)

AD

cre8iveauto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Allen. I'm a regional insurance claims manager (I-CAR instructor too) and I was stumped on the cross references on car-part (which is the search engine behind CCC estimating platform...shhh industry secret..lol) as searches for a 92 will only come up with trannies as high as 94. But since even this site shows 88-98 with the same guts I put in a 98 with the reasoning that the 92's are over ten years old and ditched by the high profile salvage yards. And then I was finding 99's and 2000 showing up. Search for a 2000 and you will find 2007's so you have the missing link!
Thanks for your help it will make an old man's day (probably year!)
A good techinical tid bit for the tranny cross reference and interchange guide.
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED !

cre8iveauto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
SAVE BIG BUCKS ON A pre-'94 M50D M5R1 save the tail shaft and use it on a 95-2007

Seems there is a SECRET LADIES/GENTS that salvage yards don't want you to know. If you search the 1998 M50D R1 vs. the 1992 I originally searched for... hmm $500 - $900 wore out or rebuilt with what? and what was actually done... Bad news for a $1500 truck to begin with.
PUNCH LINE PLEASE>>>> 2000 3.0 L 5 spd $300 or less mileage under 100k
Don't you hate it when people take adavantage of an enthusist!
BTW : It would makes sense that the same would apply to 2.3 and 4.0's (note the cases are different but after that the guts seem to jive if you change the tail shaft. Just like the old chevie Turbo 350 days??

DO YOUR HOME WORK>>>>ASK THE FOLKS ON THIS SITE & SAVE BIG ! Used Parts rapist beware! :icon_cheers:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Junkyards go by Hollander interchange.

Hollander is good, within it's lmitations.

someone who reakkly KNOWS the vehicle can point out the "mistakes"
in hollander.

Like I just did above.

Another thing is that the '93-97 trans will show as different
from the '88-92, but this "difference" ammounts to the slave
cylinder being different

the '98-up trans will also come up as "different" because it uses
a different shift lever...

The thing is most people don't know what details are important
and what details can be changed.

That's where someone like me comes in.

I had a long arguement with someone years ago that refused to sell me a trans because it wasn't what I originally asked for, I said "Yeah, it's different, but four bolts and it won't be"

it was an '85-87 TK5 trans that was fitted with a 4cyl bellhousing.
I had the 6cyl bellhousing in my hand,and I was about ready to beat
him to death with it

Not for arguing with me but because I consider stupidity that profound
to be a capitol offense.

AD
AD

dorman68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have access to an Hollander salvage interchange. Here is what I come up with assuming your truck is 2wd.

MAZDA B-3000 1994 M.T.; 4x2
RANGER 1991-1994 M.T; 4x2, (3.0L)

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Have you considered simply posting in the WTB forum?

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals