• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

auto to manual trans swap trouble

nossbud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so i bought a 94 ranger 4x4 4.0 and the guy before me swapped the auto trans out and put in a manual. i can shift into 4 high but no 4 low. the gauge pod says its in park and thats where its been since i got the truck so im wondering if i where to shift that into neutral from the colum if it would let me shift into 4 lo?????? not sure if theres some sensor or if im out of my mind.

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are you trying it with the manual tranny in neutral?

nossbud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes with the manual in neutral but it still has the automatic steering colum in it. so im wondering if i shift it into neutral on the colum if it would work??

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Are you pushing the clutch in?

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The column has nothing to do with the shifting of the t-case. I still have my auto column in my truck, and all I did was take the shifter off, replace the column covers with the manual column covers, and put the blank coverplate over the gear indicator on the dash.
That being said, you must have the tranny is neutral (as far as I know) and the clutch depressed, in order for it to go into 4low. Unless the guy never worked on the clutch pedal, in which case the truck thinks the the clutch is always depressed, and it will even start with the clutch out, in gear (like mine).

I think you're problem is electrical. I can't remember what I did, but when I did my swap, I had a problem identical to yours, it would go into 4wd fine, but no 4 low. It was a wiring issue under the truck. I don't recall what exactly I did, but I know I got a wiring diagram of both the transmission circuit, as well as the 4wd circuit, and once I did that and figured out what made sense going where, it all worked fine.

If I'm not mistaken, there are 3 "sensors" on the t-case computer. A speed sensor, a Clutch sensor, and a neutral safety switch (I'm not sure about the last one, but I think it is). If the truck starts, then the clutch sensor works, it is just a matter of making sure it is connected to the t-case/ t-case computer.

I hope that helps at least a little.

nossbud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dogboy-did or do you have any reverse lights at all because mine are on solid all the time so i just unpluged the bulbs. i do kno that there is a sensor on the top of the transmission that doesnt have a plug going in it. also theres like the end of a wiring harness up towards the top of my bell housing that has wires spliced??? not sure whats going on there?? and my clutch is like yours

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet would be to find a truck just like yours that came factory with a manual transmission and get the transmission wiring harness. It unplugs right behind the engine block. Swap those harness out and everything will work perfectly (back up lights, 4wd, etc.).

Once you get the harness swapped, you will have to have the clutch depressed to switch into 4 low. There is no sensors on the transmission telling the PCM that it is in neutral, so that doesn't matter. As long as the clutch is depressed, then it will shift into 4 low. The PCM gets the signal from the CPP (Clutch Pedal Position) switch that it is depressed.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you need schematics, shoot me a PM with your e-mail address.

Maurice is correct, you should do it correctly and install that harness, install and connect the clutch pedal switch, and the reverse light switch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals