• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dome Light leaves me in the dark.

Ridl37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
97 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Dome light will not switch on with doors open
Dome light will not switch on with dimmer rolled up until it clicks
Dome light will not switch on when slider on light fixture is pressed to either side
Cargo lights do not work
Replaced the difficult to move Dimmer switch with new one and used a dab of electric grease on connecting blades with no effect
Visually Checked all contacts in dome light itself.. all appears to have good connection.
WD-40'd both door switches and dabbed electrical grease on blades of connectors with no effect.

What is going on in my little puzzle? I treally bugs me that the lights don't turn on with the on light switch on the light itself. That should be from battery through a fuse to the light itself right? Not only that but shouldnt the dimmer switch be another direct path to both the cargo and dome light?

So in short I'd like to know as specific as possible that path of electricity from fuse box to door switches, dimmer switch, dome lights, and cargo lights.
Is there a computer involved and where is it?
Is there a relay involved and where is it?
If all else fails which pins on the dimmer switch could I use to connect battery through a fuse to the clicking position to turn on both dome and cargo lights?
Oh and the battery is connected. Everything but cruise control and maybe abs works and yep the bulbs have been checked and light up.

Would love to figure this one out I've pulled the dash face off to change switch and door panel off to clean door switch so I'm confident on the generals of how this thing is put together and with digging through my ranger to work through this with you guys if it comes to that.

I have fluke meter and moderate electronics education. (Just cant find any connections under dash to test)

This thing has had a large blue relay under steering column replaced and a cb radio wired in at some point in its life before me so I know some wiring has been messed with but may be completely unrelated.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals