• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch problem

saleenboy87146

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Truck has 145,XXX miles on it. I bought it about two years ago, just as a spare vehicle, don't really drive it that much.

But anyways, the last few I noticed that the clutch had to be pressed all the way to the floor to change gears and put it back in first at a stop light. The other day I jump in to go somewhere and the clutch has no pedal resistance the first two inches or so and with the clutch all the way to the floor when you try to put it in gear the truck wants to move forward. Went back out a little later and I can put the truck in gear but the clutch still has no resistance the two inches of pedal travel. Now, somtimes it will go in gear and sometimes not.

Is it the master or the slave, and how can you test which one it is? Or just replace the master and slave along with the clutch itself?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, k&n box filter- this thing sucks... air
Transmission
Manual
im having the exact same problem right now. i found that my slave is leakin. the problem with the light pedal and engaging right off the floor is a hydraulic system problem. you need to pull out the small plastic dust cover on the bellhousing and shine a flashlight in the hole. if you can see clutch fluid on the throwout bearing, its the slave. the master cylinder is on the firewall under your brake system. try bleeding the system. the bleeder is on the left side of the trani above the dust cover. it will have a little rubber boot over it. all you need to do is crack it open and let it bleed. you dont need to press the pedal. the first time i bled mine nothin came out, so i had to get my wife to press the pedal. and when i checked it it was worse. couldnt get it in gear unless i shut it off and started it in gear. i bled mine like four times and got it to engage with the pedal half way out. make sure you refill the fluid or it will suck air into the system. mine started doing this on saturday, and since i bled it, it has been fine for the last few days. im gonna drive it like this for a few weeks or a month, bleeding it when i have to, and then change the clutch and slave then.

saleenboy87146

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I looked inside the bellhousing already, didn't see any major leaks, resevoir is full. But this just started happening, maybe hasn't had enough time to really leak out yet. I will try bleeding it.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is it a bunch of no pressure up top and you only have pressure down towards the bottom(clutch pedal pushed all the way in)?? If so, sounds like Slave.

Is anything squeeking when you cycle the pedal? If so, where is the squeek coming from. If from the cab, it's the master, If under the truck it's the slave.

I've never had a slave physically leak brake fluid...the seals inside the slave or the master end up going...so there's no external fluid loss. But I've read where people have actual leaks.

saleenboy87146

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the top two inches of pedal travel have no resistance what's so ever. No squeeking at all from anywhere.

Sounds like one of those situation where you just replace the master, the slave and as long as you are there the clutch also.

No definete way to tell which component is causing the problem?

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, k&n box filter- this thing sucks... air
Transmission
Manual
what does it actually mean for the master cylinder if i hear a squeak inside the cab when i push my clutch? it doesnt always do it, just sometimes. my truck has 194,400 miles on it, so its very possible that the master and slave are goin at the same time. as far as i know it still has the factory clutch, i had it since 70k.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals