• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Huge Serges/Idle problems/Runs like a dirtbag

BeaverBanker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey Boys/Gals

My 1994 B2300, went to go use her yesterday , truck sat for 3 months plus prior. Started up fine, Was on the way to work, and the truck started surging at the light anywheres between 600rpm-2000rpm. Its been doing this no stop. It bogs like a old motoski coming out of the hole till Over 3000 rpm( i normally drive this truck easy never revving over 2300). Less then 5000 miles ago i put new, Plugs,wires, Filters, Pvc. Ive checked the air filter its clear, Changed the Fuel Filter it was clear, Checked the pvc. Looked for vacuum leaks found non. Im stumped it doesn't make a difference warm or cold. No Check engine light of doom (yes it works), The only outstanding problem was/is the coolant gauge barely moves off C when its hot. Im stumped.

Any Ideas?

levi18175

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 91 ranger with a very similar problem. It has the 2.3 EFI with 8 spark plugs, I also put new plugs, wires, fuel filter, and an air filter. It has a bit of a hessitation going from idle, but will pick up and go just fine. (keep in mind it's just shy of 200,000 miles). I can be driving down the road for about five or six miles, then it will fall flat on it's face like it's out of gas. If I drop a gear, or sometimes two, it will clean right out and run like a champ again. I'm not to sure what the problem is, but I am thinking it might be the fuel pressure regulator. I had an 85-F150 302-EFI that did something similar, but instead of being the regulator, I pulled the pump out of the tank and found that the piece of rubber fuel line that connects the fuel pump to the main line had deteiriated. I am also wondering if that might be the case, but I highly doubt it being as it runs just fine at times. if you find the solution, please let me know.

akcskye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
We're also in the process of diagnosing mostly 100% these very same things on our Cricket.

The only problem with Cricket is that it doesn't even want to acknowledge you're pressing the accelerator now while trying to start it.

Used to, you could press it down all the way and at least gain a rough idle...now I'm not getting anything but cranking and no "umph".

Still stumped.

BeaverBanker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Whats the rail pressure so pose to be.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
On a '94 it should be about 40psi.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals