• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rebuilt mazda locking into 1 gear

umpire613

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
mer
Transmission
Manual
Good day all..
I am in the final stages of rebuilding my mazda m50dr1 ( 1989 2.9 ltr 5spd).. catastrophic melt down.. replaced, all bearings, input shaft.. (oil slinger melted to the input shaft very cool) there was NO front bearing.. any way replaced input shaft, 3rd gear, counter shaft, all syncro's, and all bearings, and both nuts..

my issue is this, I wanted to test if you will the tranny before we stuffed it back in. So I put on the top shift cover and mounted the HURST shifter to it just to run thru the gears... as soon as i put the cover on it locks up- slides or slightly engages the 1st gear syncros,so it is kind of like being in 1st all the time. I can shift thru the gears and it appears to be changing gears it the rotations on the input corrospond to the tail shaft etc. but I can never really get to in to neutral after that.
I have looked at everything a multiple of times and cannot find whre I might be off..

any suggestions would be helpful at this point.

umpire613

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
mer
Transmission
Manual
Issue resolved..

OK.. So here is what I found..
it appears that during the reassembly, the yoke assembly on the main shaft had gotten put back on in facing backwards.. There is a 90 thousands difference so with it in there backwards it would partially engage the synco teeth. So pulled it apart put it back together and tried it again works perfectly.

Some info for reference I am including a website (pictures) where I finally determined the issue. NOTE: IMPORTANT !!! Do not go to page one of this link as it has a TROGAN loader on it.. but the other 2 pages are clean.. it is a pretty good step by step to reassembly.. again WARNING do not go here without VIRUS protection on your PC..!

http://www.fivaxis.com/m5r2rebuild/m5r2part2.htm

AND finally..
Special thanks to REMAN EXPRESS out of Okla.. We needed the following to repair the unit.. new input shaft,new 3rd gear, new countershaft, new nuts for mainshaft, and countershaft, and of course new bearings and seals. I ordered all this .. as a complete package, for a little over 400 bucks, now these guys pulled together all the parts and got them to us in a timely manner.. I normally dont go on and on about a company but they went above and beyond to help resolve my repair..

So got the unit in yesterday in about 3 hours, and took for a spin.. no whine no leaks, better than new..

:icon_bounceblue::yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals