• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shock absorber making jingle/rattle noise, temp fix possible?

daweinah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy!

I have a 98 2WD 3.0L and I just replaced the sway bar end links hoping they were the cause of the rattle/jingle/clank noise I've been hearing from my front end. Now it seems the jingle from the smallest bumps is gone and steering is noticeably better, but the main source of noise is still present.

I climbed under there and noticed that the noise is coming from the front shock absorbers. The place where I circled below is bouncing around off of each other making the racket. Before replacing the shocks (which I'm sure is technically beyond my ability and more expensive than I currently wish to pay) is there anything temporary I can do to quiet them? Like some duct tape? lol

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You can remove the shock and remove that cover peice from the shock and reinstall it

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I agree with the above post.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
Were are you located, Heck if you are withnin driving distance I would do it for you if you paid for gas and the parts.

They are a cake to change and if you are going to remove the shock to repair it, you might as well change the shocks ate that point.

I say if you were to change them it would be a good Saturday Morning job. Hour maybe, maybe 2 tops.

That tin is just really a dust shield. So purty much an easy fix.

But with the spring in the way I could not tell you a simple way of fixing it on the truck.

So then removal = replace.

Last edited:

daweinah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I went into PepBoys and had them take a look, they showed me the upper and lower ball joints that need replacement and the passenger shock has some grease leakage. Basically, I think I'm looking at having the front suspension replaced which I'm guessing is gonna cost $5-700 and I'm just trying to find something easy to quiet the noise until I want to pay all that to get it fixed.

I'm handy with tools, but intimidated by cars. I just replaced the sway bar end links and that was the most complicated thing I've ever done to a car lol I can't even change my oil. :(

bluoval, I'm a bit north of Denton, TX, which is about 30 mi north of Dallas.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
That my friend is a bit of a drive, but I will be more than happy to help you in anyway possible that I can over the web. PM me with any questions or just shoot them here and I will do my best and I am sure everyone else here will love to help out.

Good luck.

Oh and if your front suspension is going bad why not just lower it with the djm 4/5 drop, is replaces everything you need taken care of and gives you a nice stance and really no more work than what you are currently looking at.

Just a thought, but it is your call, and if we can help keep one more Ranger on the road then I will help in anyway possible.

daweinah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input blu, but if anything, I'd like to raise it. That's what trucks are really for ya know :p

I don't really have any place to do all the work, even if I felt able. My roommate has his car in the garage (won't start) and my retarted home owner's association policy prohibits working on vehicles in the driveway. The rule nazi old lady lives two houses down so I can never get away with anything.

You can see in this pic that the front end sits a couple inches lower. I've heard of people putting Explorer springs on there to make it sit higher or something.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
About a milion different ways of get you truck in the air. But if you are wanting to lift it, what better time then now.

I know what you mean about working on your truck in the driveway, But for a Saturday and as long as the truck is on the ground and safe before dark, were are you going to get in trouble ?

If she really has that big of a problem, tell her without my truck I can not get to work and then inturn, with out my job I can not pay you your money, and therefore you are going to yell at me anyways so, just give me the pleasure of fixing my truck, and you wil get your money.

Just dont be rude, but seriouly as long as it is not in pieces and is safe and secured I would imagine there is nothing they can say.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals