• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck in 4th,

big_o7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 94 ranger 4x4 5spd, i was driving home yesterday and i was shifting to overdrive and went to 4th and that where it stayed, any ideas.....i know a syncro is shot, but i need ideas on what to do next.......thanks guys.......big

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well, stuck in 4th isn't a good sign. If your shifter bushings are intact, and it's locked in gear its internal. It's a possibility a roll pin in the top cover slid in the wrong place, preventing you from leaving the 4th position.. 4th gear isn't actually a "gear", it's a collar that locks the input/tail shaft together. In other words 4th gear is actually a "direct drive". If above mentioned isn't it, you have a catastrophic failure somewhere. How's the fluid level, and color? After checking everything you can externally, fluid (to determine level, color,or any chunks), shifter bushings, you need to get the top cover off the trans and have a look see.

ati190

Last edited:

DRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 L v6
Transmission
Automatic
i had this happen to my 88 ford ranger it was the synchro inside the top plate of the tranny i just took that off and put a screw driver down in there and popped it right back into place and it was fine..

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
i had this happen to my 88 ford ranger it was the synchro inside the top plate of the tranny i just took that off and put a screw driver down in there and popped it right back into place and it was fine..
that should be "shift fork" and the FM146 was know for having "soft" detents
that allowed the shift rails to move if the truck was jolted. and that would lock up the trans

a "Sychro" is a rotating part.

As to the OP's question... There is nothing I can say that's going to make you happy.

a Mazda trans that's "locked in 4th" is about the worst sign there is.

Drain the fluid, if it comes out red and reasonably clear there may be hope for it.

Personally I'd expect the fluid to come out black and smelling like
"Liquid car fire smoke"

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals